BTECS vs. A-LEVELS Watch

Amgad74
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello guys so I applied for an a level course for September after I finish my GCSEs. To be fair I really hate academic work and always wanted to do BTECs for their students having a rowdy reputation plus most of my family went to good unis i.e. family pressure etc...

I’m thinking about just doing BTECs in forensic science and not do a levels. Now my question are:
1-are the students really rowdy and just rude?
2-can doing this BTEC limit me from going to a decent uni?
3- do you guys think forensic science is worth it? Can I get a job and earn decent money if I do it especially that I really wanna be in a police field?

If anyone has any experience that would totally helpxxx
MariannaL
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Amgad74)
Hello guys so I applied for an a level course for September after I finish my GCSEs. To be fair I really hate academic work and always wanted to do BTECs for their students having a rowdy reputation plus most of my family went to good unis i.e. family pressure etc...

I’m thinking about just doing BTECs in forensic science and not do a levels. Now my question are:
3- do you guys think forensic science is worth it? Can I get a job and earn decent money if I do it especially that I really wanna be in a police field?

If you’re not really academic you will struggle with A Levels. It’s a huge workload. You can eat into a decent uni with BTECs but not like Cambridge or Oxford.
Idk about forensic science. Why not do like Criminology since it’s more broad ? Or Science ?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
lukemcc859
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You are so wrong when you say you can't get into decent universities. In fact you are so wrong, you can get into oxford medicine with it.
(Original post by MariannaL)
If you’re not really academic you will struggle with A Levels. It’s a huge workload. You can eat into a decent uni with BTECs but not like Cambridge or Oxford.
Idk about forensic science. Why not do like Criminology since it’s more broad ? Or Science ?
Oxford Brookes University
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey!

Choosing between A-levels and BTECs can be really tough but attitudes towards BTECs have changed massively. Your family are basing their opinions on stereotypes (I'm sure many other people do as well, so don't worry!) but many many many universities now accept them.

If you really hate academic work, then just warning you now - A-levels are a lot of academic work and if you don't have the motivation or interest then you may struggle. However, saying that, they are very different from GCSEs - you get to focus on 3 or 4 subjects so you can pick ones you are really interested in. You may really enjoy them, and thrive!

BTECs have a much better reputation now; look at entry requirements for courses and universities and it will show you if they accept them or not, as well as the grades they require. I think, with regards to students being rowdy / rude - this isn't specific to BTECs. This could for A Levels or BTECs so try not to worry about this!

Is there any chance you could do a mixture of A-levels and BTECs? This may be a happy compromise if you are yet to decide. My main advice would be to look at entry requirements; this can be found on the universities website or the UCAS website. You could also look into forensic science within the Police Force, as they may have some advice of pathways you can take into this.

I hope this is helpful,

Issy
(Original post by Amgad74)

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (449)
18.96%
The paper was reasonable (1105)
46.66%
Not feeling great about that exam... (520)
21.96%
It was TERRIBLE (294)
12.42%

Watched Threads