Laptop for uni? Watch

asdf789
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi, not sure if this is the right thread sorry.

So if I got to uni next year next year hopefully, I’m hoping to bring a laptop with me so it’ll be more convenient to have something like that with me instead of eg going to the library every time

Now I just wanna know good latops for uni?

I’m looking for a cheap but good laptop hopefully. I considered maybe getting an apple MacBook of some sort but idk if it’s worth it and which ones good?

I’m looking for a maximum budget of lets say £400-£500 maybe

Thanks and live amazing lives
Fermion.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I got a MacBook for my uni and enjoy it 😊
TylerRoss
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Lenovo ideapad (any model) do very good. Had mine a couple years still runs like new and only cost £400
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
asdf789
Rep:
?
Can I ask what model please?
(Original post by Illusination)
SlightlySummer
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Do you think a GCSE student would find it useful?
Jin3011
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I went a bit OTT when I was first at uni. Bought a PC which I only used 3 times and already had a laptop which was on its last legs. That didn't stop me from still going to the library and using their PC's or iPads. Bought myself a MacBook and it was literally the best investment ever! It was the Early 2015 MacBook Pro and it lasted me a good 3 years. The only downside was the price!

I'd pop down to a Currys/PC world and have a look around if I were you. I know Lenovo do some decent cheap laptops with good specs - so maybe worth a try.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It's not permitted to like Apple products on TSR. You'll be told you're stupid for spending your money like that and inundated with videos from whining American teenagers who can't cope with other people's free choices.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by asdf789)

So if I got to uni next year next year hopefully, I’m hoping to bring a laptop with me so it’ll be more convenient to have something like that with me instead of eg going to the library every time

I’m looking for a cheap but good laptop hopefully. I considered maybe getting an apple MacBook of some sort but idk if it’s worth it and which ones good?

I think you've got to give a little bit more detail on what you want to do with this laptop to get useful recommendations. For instance, someone who just wants to bang out assignments on it, browse the internet etc is going to need something very different from a serious gamer (who also wants it for the work aspect).
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You and about 80% of freshers did.
Omar964
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Look for some laptops on Amazon etc. that have a good processor not less than an i5 and have a graphics card. Spend a bit more and go for an acer or an Asus if you plan to play some games here and there when you a bored!
asdf789
Rep:
?
So if I get one, I’m just planning to do homework, research, projects, watch YT on it etc. Also I may want to get a video editing software on it too, not sure yet tbh
Although I like playing games, I don’t want any games on it bc I got games on my other laptop and it became much slower so I don’t want that to happen again.

Idk if this is enough info but thank u for ur help : )
(Original post by Reality Check)
I think you've got to give a little bit more detail on what you want to do with this laptop to get useful recommendations. For instance, someone who just wants to bang out assignments on it, browse the internet etc is going to need something very different from a serious gamer (who also wants it for the work aspect).
Fermion.
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Can I ask what model please?
I got the MacBook Pro 13 inch (2017 model) with two thunderbolts. I didn't get any extra ad-ons in terms of storage or whatever, and that's even after taking lots of photos and storing high quality medical images on my computer (I study radiography). The guy at Apple was really helpful in helping me choose and I'm sure if you go in you will get some guidance. Also, the best time to buy it is before school/uni starts in August/September as if you bring in your UCAS confirmation for university or acceptance letter for whatever school, you get 10% off and a free pair of beats. All in all it cost me just under a grand. I got the 13inch purely because it fits in the laptop pocket inside my bag perfectly and a 15" would've been too big.
(Original post by SlightlySummer)
Do you think a GCSE student would find it useful?
Sure, I don't see why not. It will last you throughout university and after university as well.
Fermion.
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
It's not permitted to like Apple products on TSR. You'll be told you're stupid for spending your money like that and inundated with videos from whining American teenagers who can't cope with other people's free choices.
Knew you were going to comment that :rofl:
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Knew you were going to comment that :rofl:
It just pisses me off, the wagging finger telling people what to buy and what not to buy in a 20,000 word lecture :lol:
asdf789
Rep:
?
Hi, so I’m considering maybe getting a Lenovo 120s (https://ao.com/product/81a4003quk-le...G=Brand%20Type) would love to hear thoughts on this, thanks : )
(Original post by TylerRoss)
Lenovo ideapad (any model) do very good. Had mine a couple years still runs like new and only cost £400
TylerRoss
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi, so I’m considering maybe getting a Lenovo 120s (https://ao.com/product/81a4003quk-le...G=Brand%20Type) would love to hear thoughts on this, thanks : )
With laptops you tend to get what you pay for. £129 is really cheap, but if you do have a larger budget like you say, I’d recommend the 320S. Otherwise the 120s will do the job i reckon, may just start to struggle towards the end of your degree
sunnyun
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Unless you’re doing a computer science, media, or art course, don’t bother getting a MacBook. Honestly there is zero need. Instead get yourself a good Asus or HP laptop, they’ll do the exact same thing...and they come with Word (as opposed to ‘Apple Pages’)
Last edited by sunnyun; 2 weeks ago
asdf789
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Hi, thank you for all the help and suggestions!

Would just like to ask if I get a new laptop now and use the same one for uni, will it still be okay in the long run or not so good once I’m in uni? Cuz rn, I’m considering getting a laptop for Yr 13 A2. Any advice please?

In addition, my only intentions on the laptop would basically be for research, and potentially even some Microsoft word stuff cuz I may considering writing a book in the future. I’m also gonna bump my budget up to £500 for this. Would love some suggestions?

Thanks
asdf789
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Hi,

So I’m considering getting a laptop for uni and rn I’m tending towards Microsoft pro 6.

I’m probably just gonna use it for research, notes, possibly writing a book in the future.

Would love to hear thoughts/suggestions on this?

Thanks
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hi,

So I’m considering getting a laptop for uni and rn I’m tending towards Microsoft pro 6.

I’m probably just gonna use it for research, notes, possibly writing a book in the future.

Would love to hear thoughts/suggestions on this?

Thanks
do you mean the surface pro? there are other lightweight options that are much cheaper so if you go for that make sure to have good contents insurance.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (405)
18.58%
The paper was reasonable (1038)
47.61%
Not feeling great about that exam... (484)
22.2%
It was TERRIBLE (253)
11.61%

Watched Threads