Laptop for uni? Watch

PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
asdf789 I've merged your two laptop-related threads as they are so similar. You can bump this thread if you want additional advice.
aa-k
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If you're looking for cheap but good then you can forget about any apple product ever.
asdf789
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Yeah I meant surface pro, sorry. Can I ask the other laptop suggestion please? Thanks
(Original post by claireestelle)
do you mean the surface pro? there are other lightweight options that are much cheaper so if you go for that make sure to have good contents insurance.
Zxr_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Couple of things you need to think about.
First, what course will you be doing at uni? If you're using really heavy editing and gaming software, you need a fast processor (i7). However if not, you will be fine with an i5 processor.
What sort of style? You can get a normal laptop or a 2-in-1 (which you can flip the keyboard over and turn it into a tablet).
Screen size?
Here's a link with a couple of filters applied: https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/compu...-criteria.html
claireestelle
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by asdf789)
Yeah I meant surface pro, sorry. Can I ask the other laptop suggestion please? Thanks
any type of chromebook can be quite lightweight.
rke7241
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by TylerRoss)
With laptops you tend to get what you pay for. £129 is really cheap, but if you do have a larger budget like you say, I’d recommend the 320S. Otherwise the 120s will do the job i reckon, may just start to struggle towards the end of your degree
I have the 320s and i must say it’s brilliant. i have the i5 model with 8gb of ram and it’s perfect for work, i would highly recommend.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Gunners89
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Looking at getting a laptop too in August ready for starting university September. Don’t want to spend more than £500. I will only need it for essays and the internet
asdf789
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
So rn I’m torn between Lenovo ideapad 330s and Microsoft surface pro 6.

In uni, im hoping to do biomedical science and use the laptop for research, notes etc but I also plan to write a book in the future and hopefully still use the laptop after uni.

Any suggestions please? Also should I get it now for Yr 13 cuz I think it would be beneficial but unsure if would be less efficient in the future.

Thanks
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
Anything lenovo
KingLord
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
To be honest... go for HP or Asus. With £500 HP or Asus you will get more features than what £1000 Mac or Surface will give you like the storage or graphics card.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (62)
21.75%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (99)
34.74%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (59)
20.7%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (28)
9.82%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (37)
12.98%

Watched Threads