The Student Room Group

[Exam Cram] Ask Pearson/Edexcel all your A-level and GCSE Maths questions!

It's Exam Cram 2019!

This half term we have an amazing offer for you all currently working through your exam season. Ask your exam board the questions you need to make that final push through your revision.

That's right, this half term we are offering you the chance to talk to your exam board and get the help you need this half term on TSR. This thread is for the 28th of May 2019 or in other words........

Maths day! :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

Post below your questions and Edexcel/Pearson will reply! Ask about specific issues you are having with your revision, topics that you are struggling with or anything about the exams and the exam format themselves!

Unfortunately there are some rules so we can make this thread work for everyone

No asking what is in the up and coming exam, the exam board won't answer no matter how desperate you are!

No asking for low boundaries! This isn't up to how the examiners are feeling on that day. Questions around grade boundaries are fine though :smile:

Keep it civil !

You can start getting your questions in now and Pearson will be come through and answer them tomorrow :smile:

Good luck for the rest of your exams guys! :groovy:

Scroll to see replies

I really struggled with my first paper and everyone in my school said they struggled as well. Does that mean there is going to be a lower grade boundary?

I do GCSE btw.
How much do we need to know for the large data set?
(For A Levels Maths)
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
y u no have any stats AEA questions available (sadface)
A-Level maths: Will the exam be similar difficulty to last year's papers or will the difficulty change to accommodate all students as now a whole cohort is sitting the exam.

Same with grade boundaries, normally grade boundaries don't shift a massive amount but would a "easier" exam than last year mean the grade boundary for an A* will significant increase from 76% or will it stay similar ~80 regardless of the exam difficulty?
GCSE Higher Maths: How many marks do you think I will need for a grade 6?
A2 peeps, which past exam was the hardest exam you've ever solved ?
That paper I sat was mean Edexcel.
Reply 8
You sent an email out explaining certain topic in a bit more detail, such as 'proof by contradiction' you wrote, and I quote 'it is a requirement of the criteria that students should be able to tackle proofs in 'unfamiliar' situations.' Does this mean there will be proof styles we have never ever seen before, no matter how much we scavenge through the new spec textbook and all of the practise papers?
What do we need to know exactly about the large data set?
What stats past papers are the best to prep for the exam?
How useful are old spec C3 and C4 papers for prep
Reply 10
In the examiners report for last year's A Level maths exam paper 3 there was this quote,

"...sadly there did seem to be some students who were not that well prepared for the change in content and question style".

Can you please give some recommendations for the 2019 cohort so that they can be more prepared than the students mentioned in the report? Do you expect students this year to be better prepared than last year's students?
Reply 11
Another question from me:

A Level further maths students only have practice papers to revise from since there are no past papers. I'm concerned that a lot of students are going to get caught out by the new style of the exam, similar to what happened last year for the first A Level maths cohort (as mentioned above). Do you have any tips for further maths students and should they expect the real paper to be similar in difficulty to the practice/specimen papers?
Is it true that the A level Further Maths specimen papers, core pure in particular, are created for the 'more able' students and the exams will be of difficulty more similar to the SAM or mock papers you have produced?
Will the grade boundaries be same/very close for the Further Maths A-level, regardless of what option modules are taken, or will they vary substantially?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by syrup.02
for as biology are lacteals on the specification

This is a Q&A just for maths unfortunately. But if you post your question in the biology forum I’m sure someone will help :smile:
For questions that require the use of the quadratic formula such as a 3 term quadratic, must we show how we use it or can we just type what we see on our calculators.
Would 1/2.25 be an accepted answer for a question asking for the answer to be written as a fraction(such as the one in 2019 paper 1 where the answer was 4/9)?
Reply 17
oops sorry i didnt read the thing properly
Original post by Notnek
This is a Q&A just for maths unfortunately. But if you post your question in the biology forum I’m sure someone will help :smile:
For partial fractions, can we use the calculator to solve the simultaneous questions or do you need us to show steps of the simultaneous equations?
(For A Levels Maths)
(edited 4 years ago)
Are the next two papers relatively harder than Paper 1 or easier?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending