Advice on Grad Scheme or Current Job

Watch
ftball22
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all,

I’ve found myself in a bit of a dilemma.

Im 23 and took on a job at the start of 2019 to take me to the start of a finance grad scheme that I had already been accepted on to.
Recently I have been asked to stay within my current role and team.
My current role pays a lot more (>£40k - in the midlands) and they have offered to match the training package of CIMA that I would have received on the grad scheme as well as opportunities to work within other teams on secondments. I really like the people on my team and am in a growing sector. The negatives are that the job is quite niche and there is no clear longer term progressions.

I am aware of how good grad schemes look on CVs, how much learning and networking opportunities you gain within a short (2yr) space of time and how you may find it easier to be fast tracked into higher roles in the future. On the flip side, it’s in a (large) business that I feel is going to struggle with growth in the future, there’s no guarantee of a job at the end (or what level that job would be at) and it may take 5years or more to get back to my current wage.

What would your gut instinct be? How would you choose between the two?
e^x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ftball22)
Hi all,

I’ve found myself in a bit of a dilemma.

Im 23 and took on a job at the start of 2019 to take me to the start of a finance grad scheme that I had already been accepted on to.
Recently I have been asked to stay within my current role and team.
My current role pays a lot more (>£40k - in the midlands) and they have offered to match the training package of CIMA that I would have received on the grad scheme as well as opportunities to work within other teams on secondments. I really like the people on my team and am in a growing sector. The negatives are that the job is quite niche and there is no clear longer term progressions.

I am aware of how good grad schemes look on CVs, how much learning and networking opportunities you gain within a short (2yr) space of time and how you may find it easier to be fast tracked into higher roles in the future. On the flip side, it’s in a (large) business that I feel is going to struggle with growth in the future, there’s no guarantee of a job at the end (or what level that job would be at) and it may take 5years or more to get back to my current wage.

What would your gut instinct be? How would you choose between the two?
I think you should stay in your current role and do the CIMA after that I don’t see why you won’t have the same exit opportunities as someone who has done the CIMA from a grad scheme.

The CIMA is the deciding factor for me, if your current employer didn’t offer the CIMA then I would leave.

All the best.
ftball22
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by e^x)
I think you should stay in your current role and do the CIMA after that I don’t see why you won’t have the same exit opportunities as someone who has done the CIMA from a grad scheme.

The CIMA is the deciding factor for me, if your current employer didn’t offer the CIMA then I would leave.

All the best.
Thanks for the reply. I was extremely grateful that they offered to match the training. Hopefully it shows they’re willing to invest in me and won’t get rid of me when it suits!
e^x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for the reply. I was extremely grateful that they offered to match the training. Hopefully it shows they’re willing to invest in me and won’t get rid of me when it suits!
>40k at 23 is really impressive and now you can do the CIMA and stay on the same salary. I wouldn’t worry about not being on a graduate scheme as ultimately like I said I think you’ll have the same exit opportunities.

I’m 23 as well working at one of the Big 4 doing the ACA and I’m on <30k after >1 year.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Stay where you are, you are already on a career path, well paid, and with an employer that's prepared to invest in you. 'Graduate scheme' is just a phrase, with no minimum standard, so a few may be excellent, most are OK, some are complete frauds and are just a bulk entry mechanism. And in all of them you are competing with a set of near identical peers. You've just by-passed all that and started on your career already.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (59)
14.97%
I'm not sure (14)
3.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (134)
34.01%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.52%
I'm not a current university student (181)
45.94%

Watched Threads