The Student Room Group

Annual Leave entitlement?

Hello.

so I work 37.5 hours a week, 5 days a week. I'm on a 6 months fixed contract and I'm not sure how much annual leave I'm entitled to in the year.

I work for the NHS and normally it's 27 days plus bank holidays - however as I'm only 6 months would my annual leave be half of that?

My contract does not indicate how much annual leave I get and I don't want to ask my manager about it as it's too early

I also have a pre-booked holiday in July - which is 3 weeks after I start my job..would this count towards my annual leave?

Thanks.
it's almost always pro-rata. but there may be conditions that say you're not allowed to take it in your first x months. why are you asking TSR instead of your own employer? jesus christ
Original post by bazla1995
Hello.

so I work 37.5 hours a week, 5 days a week. I'm on a 6 months fixed contract and I'm not sure how much annual leave I'm entitled to in the year.

I work for the NHS and normally it's 27 days plus bank holidays - however as I'm only 6 months would my annual leave be half of that?

My contract does not indicate how much annual leave I get and I don't want to ask my manager about it as it's too early

I also have a pre-booked holiday in July - which is 3 weeks after I start my job..would this count towards my annual leave?

Thanks.
Reply 2
Original post by A Rolling Stone
it's almost always pro-rata. but there may be conditions that say you're not allowed to take it in your first x months. why are you asking TSR instead of your own employer? jesus christ

Because, I don't want to leave a negative impression by asking about annual leave when my new job hasn't even started yet. I have a week and half booked holiday for July and I'm concerned it will take over all my annual leave for those 6 months.
it is perfectly reasonable to query any ambiguity in your contract, which tbh should have it in black and white...
Original post by bazla1995
Because, I don't want to leave a negative impression by asking about annual leave when my new job hasn't even started yet. I have a week and half booked holiday for July and I'm concerned it will take over all my annual leave for those 6 months.
Have they approved the annual leave. It generally would be pro rated and if you took more than that by tine you leave, they hold back sone pay when you leave.
Reply 5
They are aware of my pre-booked holiday and said it's fine - as they said they will honour any pre-booked holidays that I have. I've sent her email regarding this twice, and was told by her assistant there shouldn't be any problems.
Original post by Catherine1973
Have they approved the annual leave. It generally would be pro rated and if you took more than that by tine you leave, they hold back sone pay when you leave.
Well then it’s fine and it will just use up the 15 days of the (at a guess) 13.5 days allowance so no more holiday (bar bank holidays) and they underpay you by 1.5 days when you leave.
Reply 7
Thank you. my holiday is 9 days BTW :smile:
Well then it’s fine and it will just use up the 15 days of the (at a guess) 13.5 days allowance so no more holiday (bar bank holidays) and they underpay you by 1.5 days when you leave.
Lol sorry I just read the 3 weeks in first post. So yes you’re under so a few more days to use or be paid out.
Though starting June ans leaving early dec mean you are a bit stuffed on bank holidays as only one in that time. But that is fine as employer is giving you more holidays than stat minimum of 28 days inc bank holidays.
Reply 9
That's cool.

Thanks for your help. I should have 4 days left to use then. Will probably book the next holiday in October or November then.
Lol sorry I just read the 3 weeks in first post. So yes you’re under so a few more days to use or be paid out.
Though starting June ans leaving early dec mean you are a bit stuffed on bank holidays as only one in that time. But that is fine as employer is giving you more holidays than stat minimum of 28 days inc bank holidays.

Quick Reply

Latest