Edexcel IAL M1 prep/discussion thread. Watch

horrid
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hello all, hope everyone's revision for the IAL M1 exam on the 3rd is going great. Let's discuss some difficulties and share some tips together to help others.

Me personally I took M1 in January 2019 and didn't do well due to lack of practice, but now im way better at it and aiming for 90/100 UMS.

Some tips I could recall :

1- always specify a positive direction while you are solving a mechanics question, makes it a lot easier to deal with signs and what not

2- it is important to know what different terms mean in mechanics for example light pulley refers to equal tension on both sides and inextensible means both particles share the same acceleration

3- drawing a diagram is very important, it makes life a whole lot easier and gives you an easier representation of the question so you solve smoothly

4- revise basic skills in maths, for ex: sincostan eqn. the sine rule. the cosine rule. areas of different shapes (triangle, parallelogram, square) etc.. areas of shapes isnt really important but they can come in handy in questions that involve speed-time graphs, also keep in mind angles too (corresponding, allied, etcc..)

5- keep your solving as neat and brief as possible, remember this isnt algebra or pure maths or wtv.. the numbers in mechanics can be very random and include a lot of decimals, so keep your solving organized, brief, and let the graphs do the work.

6- trust me on this one. in resolving questions, try as much as possible to keep your solving in terms of g, sin, cos, etc.. and dont simplify right away. a lot of questions output tricky numbers if you simplify very early.

7- in resolving questions, mark all the possible forces on the diagram and write all the information about the question next to it (co-ef of friction equation, cos=, sin=, tan=, etc..), just easier for reference so you dont have to get off track later in the question.

thats it

please share your tips and predictions for the exam so we could help others. oh also questions that you found hard or challenging.
Sulaiman Shatty
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
U got the 90?
RayaanK
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
WATAFAK WAS THE PAPER OMGGGGG!! There were literally no values, just letters. I hope I'm not the only one who found it difficult. The most difficult questions for me were the prove m2>3/4m1 (question 1c) and the quadratic equation for time which had the constant K.
issqx00001
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RayaanK)
WATAFAK WAS THE PAPER OMGGGGG!! There were literally no values, just letters. I hope I'm not the only one who found it difficult. The most difficult questions for me were the prove m2>3/4m1 (question 1c) and the quadratic equation for time which had the constant K.
It was quite easy, to be frank; you probably just lack of practice. The inequalities are standard questions in mechanics, you will see more if you do M3 and M2. Just remember which qualities cannot be greater or less to certain values; like speed always greater or equal to 0 and F<= R(miu)
retardeadness
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm glad I'm not the only one who found it difficult too. 1c was hard but was only like 2 marks. The worst ones for me was the one where the asked about the normal reaction about the ring and wire thing, and the tan beta one after that. The quadratic was fine, I just wish they let us solve that to earn easy marks.
Sulaiman Shatty
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Its a rip for me... AGAIN.... Did it back in June which was a really easy exam but I had a horrible teacher. Now it's a good teacher but a horrible exam lol. Got no luck...
Sulaiman Shatty
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by issqx00001)
It was quite easy, to be frank; you probably just lack of practice. The inequalities are standard questions in mechanics, you will see more if you do M3 and M2. Just remember which qualities cannot be greater or less to certain values; like speed always greater or equal to 0 and F<= R(miu)
No it wasn't easy at all. Ur comparing M1 to M2 and M3? Seriously? OF COURSE u will find it ez. Not everyone did these plus I started solving pp from 2004. It's just horrible
RayaanK
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sulaiman Shatty)
No it wasn't easy at all. Ur comparing M1 to M2 and M3? Seriously? OF COURSE u will find it ez. Not everyone did these plus I started solving pp from 2004. It's just horrible
The paper was definitely not easy, ESPECIALLY compared to past papers.
issqx00001
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sulaiman Shatty)
I found the 2014 ial jan and 2015 ial jan more challenging than this one. And I am not comparing it with M2 and M3 I am just saying that inequalities are an important component of mechanics.
Sulaiman Shatty
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by issqx00001)
I found the 2014 ial jan and 2015 ial jan more challenging than this one. And I am not comparing it with M2 and M3 I am just saying that inequalities are an important component of mechanics.
But how many times did we face inequalities in M1? 2 or3? I mean only 7 questions is a good hint that the exam was complete bs
RayaanK
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I hope the grade boundaries are low. I was really aiming for an A but idk now
RayaanK
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rawanmamdouh)
well then you're ****ing crazy because that exam was the ****tiest exam ever...Smarty pants did M2 and M3 then why are you doing M1 again?! because you ****ing failed it last time when the exam was easier. Just honestly hate people like you! What's in it for you making others feel even ****tier than they already do!! If it was easy for you then shut your trap nobody needs to know about how intelligent and smart you are..
Holy **** calm down lmfao
21stylish
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
it was a decent paper. relatively hard
issqx00001
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Holy **** calm down lmfao
......you need almost all of the maths to have a further math ial
Esxape10
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Did you guys find this paper harder than the october 2019 one? October boundary was 55 for an A
21stylish
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Esxape10)
Did you guys find this paper harder than the october 2019 one? October boundary was 55 for an A
definitely harder than oct. Please link the grade boundaries for oct if possible
Esxape10
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've attached it
Attached files
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?