I only have two years of allowance to complete a degree in the UK.. What do I do now?

Watch
username2076939
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Long story short, I am a victim of the 5 year cap given to overseas students with tier 4 visa for studying at degree level or above in the UK and I'm now left with only two years allowed to spend to finish a degree at a university in the UK.

I completed a foundation year and spent two years doing the first year at a uni I transferred to.. I got kicked out for not having submitted a mitigating circumstances form for the lower back injury... So I have not completed the first year...

I got several offers from universities in clearing but they all refused to give me CAS since two years of study allowance left would not be enough to complete a full time 3 year degree at any UK university.

I had to head to the US to continue with my studies.. I went to a uni in California to do a pathway so I can continue with my studies. I only finished a term there and now am enrolled into a different university to study the modules in this summer term that fit my interest better.

By far, I have a distinction from my foundation year completed in the UK and full 17 credits out of 17 from my uni in California for getting at least B and at best A for 5 modules. For GCSEs, I have 5 grades that are C or above, including A for both Further Maths and Maths. For A Levels, B in Maths is my only strength.

I have been looking into some universities in or near London (including Surrey...) Would there be any universities that are willing to accept me for second year entry?

I would greatly appreciate your sincere advice.

Thank you all in advance...
username2076939
Rep:
?
Long story short, I am a victim of the 5 year cap given to overseas students with tier 4 visa for studying at degree level or above in the UK and I'm now left with only two years allowed to spend to finish a degree at a university in the UK.

I completed a foundation year and spent two years doing the first year at a uni I transferred to.. I got kicked out for not having submitted a mitigating circumstances form for the lower back injury... So I have not completed the first year...

I got several offers from universities in clearing but they all refused to give me CAS since two years of study allowance left would not be enough to complete a full time 3 year degree at any UK university.

I had to head to the US to continue with my studies.. I went to a uni in California to do a pathway so I can continue with my studies. I only finished a term there and now am enrolled into a different university to study the modules in this summer term that fit my interest better.

By far, I have a distinction from my foundation year completed in the UK and full 17 credits out of 17 from my uni in California for getting at least B and at best A for 5 modules. For GCSEs, I have 5 grades that are C or above, including A for both Further Maths and Maths. For A Levels, B in Maths is my only strength.

I have been looking into some universities in or near London (including Surrey...) Would there be any universities that are willing to accept me for second year entry?

999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by TableTennisMan)

Tbh this is a very complicated area. I do wish you had posted here 2 years ago when you had your injury as it would have saved you a lot of trouble and we could have guided you out of the situation. It is all very unclear what happened.

As it is no university can offer you a CAS because you cant complete the degree within time.
You have essentially used up 3 years, which is the time most people complete a degree in.
A university will only let you into year 2 where it believes you have already passed enough level 4 credits to equate to first year.
It all gets messy and complicated. You can ask if they will accept you into year 2 but that seems to be on the basis of whatever you studied in the US.
You need to be proactive and talking to the admissions or international departments. Considering the length of time it took you to complete this, then I would doubt they are enough.

I have looked into extensions for you and that seems to be ruled out.

That leaves 2 options.

1. 2 year degree. Some unis do them. We have no idea, what course you want.

https://www.whatuni.com/advice/news/...degrees/65927/
http://www.studyin-uk.com/study-opti...o-year-degree/
https://www.buckingham.ac.uk/

2. Study somewhere else.

Personally I would just go and study somewhere else like Oz or somewhere in Europe.
Admit-One
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Honestly, I cannot imagine that a UK institution would consider you with this hodgepodge of qualifications but I suppose you could always contact them to check.

Broadly speaking, nowhere half decent considers year 2 entry as a matter of course. Those that are left are not going to have fun picking through your academic history. You’d probably only get offers from places more interested in your tuition fees than anything else.

I suppose the more relevant question is, why do you need to return to the U.K. to continue your studies?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
US degreed aren’t compatible with UK degrees. You would normally need 2 years of US degree study (in relevant modules) for entry into year 2 of a UK degree. If you carry on in the UK then Richmond American University is probably your best bet for a Transfer into year 2.
username2076939
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Tbh this is a very complicated area. I do wish you had posted here 2 years ago when you had your injury as it would have saved you a lot of trouble and we could have guided you out of the situation. It is all very unclear what happened.

As it is no university can offer you a CAS because you cant complete the degree within time.
You have essentially used up 3 years, which is the time most people complete a degree in.
A university will only let you into year 2 where it believes you have already passed enough level 4 credits to equate to first year.
It all gets messy and complicated. You can ask if they will accept you into year 2 but that seems to be on the basis of whatever you studied in the US.
You need to be proactive and talking to the admissions or international departments. Considering the length of time it took you to complete this, then I would doubt they are enough.

I have looked into extensions for you and that seems to be ruled out.

That leaves 2 options.

1. 2 year degree. Some unis do them. We have no idea, what course you want.

https://www.whatuni.com/advice/news/...degrees/65927/
http://www.studyin-uk.com/study-opti...o-year-degree/
https://www.buckingham.ac.uk/

2. Study somewhere else.

Personally I would just go and study somewhere else like Oz or somewhere in Europe.
I'm most interested in finance so im looking into courses like financial mathematics or maths with statistics. I'm looking into unis like brunel or city at the moment..
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by TableTennisMan)
I'm most interested in finance so im looking into courses like financial mathematics or maths with statistics. I'm looking into unis like brunel or city at the moment..
As I explained you have to check if they would consider letting you into 2nd year. I think not, unless they view you to having equivalent to first year, which I think not.

That means you need to look at any unis which do 2 year courses, there arent many.

At this stage I would be looking outside the UK.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (220)
33.85%
No (430)
66.15%

Watched Threads