Chances for non EU/EEA national to secure a TC after GDL? Watch

stirred nerd
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Folks, can you please provide your thoughts on this matter?
What are the chances for a non EU/EEA national with non-law Masters Degree to secure a TC after City/BPP/UoL GDL? So much afraid of investing own funds on such endeavor...
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Prolly not great given that you've made two mistakes in one short paragraph
stirred nerd
Rep:
?
Prolly they will tolerate non-EEA's ignorance until self-improvement takes place
Got anything to say on-topic?
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by stirred nerd)
Prolly they will tolerate non-EEA's ignorance until self-improvement takes place
Got anything to say on-topic?
I wasn't joking - they really do want a high standard of English. One mistake and your app is out. Same goes for interviews, where polish and confidence and articulation while under pressure matter. If you haven't reached that standard having studied to Master's level... it doesn't look too promising for you. Take this from someone who's also a non-native speaker and who found this a challenge.

My other worry (based on the exactly two pieces of info you gave us) is that you're entering the game too late. It may take you two, three or more years to get a TC. Do you have anything to do in the meantime? Are you happy to start your TC when you're a bit older? Will you have a right to stay in the UK given that you'll no longer be a student? These are all practical issues and you should think about them.
stirred nerd
Rep:
?
Sounds wise. That was exactly the very first thing I was wondering about, since I'm already 35. Indeed could be late, however I was impressed by several stories of people being older than me, who had entered the game even later. Talking about a right to stay in the UK - not sure yet. Hope that UKUniversities Proposal will be approved. In such case there supposed to be a right to stay for 2 years after study. Sorry for low standard of English. Never been to English speaking country before, however I think I'll manage to improve it considerably in a 1 year period, in case admitted to City/BPP/UoL. Otherwise, why would they require IELTS 7? They could have put it to 9 by default. Right?
stirred nerd
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
The change in post study visa options near a decade ago are unlikely to revert back, especially with the growth of non UK students studying in the UK.
Sounds like you are sick and tired of immigrants out there, like we are in here

Nevertheless thanks a lot for your remarks. I think I'm gonna reconsider my intention.
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Never been to English speaking country before, however I think I'll manage to improve it considerably in a 1 year period, in case admitted to City/BPP/UoL. Otherwise, why would they require IELTS 7? They could have put it to 9 by default. Right?
BPP and UoL are private providers of legal education and to be very blunt, seem more keen on getting money out of people than making sure they have a realistic chance of a Law career. It's similar to buyer beware - they will let people onto the course with IELTS 7 if that is the minimum level required to pass the course, but won't point out the difficulty of gaining a Training Contract for people lacking the highest standards of English. It's good to know these things in advance.
stirred nerd
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
BPP and UoL are private providers of legal education and to be very blunt, seem more keen on getting money out of people than making sure they have a realistic chance of a Law career. It's similar to buyer beware - they will let people onto the course with IELTS 7 if that is the minimum level required to pass the course, but won't point out the difficulty of gaining a Training Contract for people lacking the highest standards of English. It's good to know these things in advance.
Mate, thanks a lot for your valuable remark. After almost a month-period of a thorough web search I got that point of 'impossibility' to secure that damned BPTC with further pupillage. There are quite a lot of happy ending stories of UK/EU students who successfully secured either BPTC or LPC after GDL, however not a single story about non-EU/EEA individual. So I thought maybe some of TSR folks here could shed light on this particular issue. Now it's clear enough nobody in his right mind will gonna fund a 35y/o non-EEA old fart
So the hell with that Pupillage/TC bull...I think it would be wise to invest in cheapest possible GDL (btw do you know of any?) and start working in whatsoever legal field afterwards. What're you folks thinking of this?
stirred nerd
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
Pupillage and a TC are two very different things taking two very different career routes in England and Wales. One important thing is to understand this and make a clear decision which career path you want to take.
That I do understand. From the very beginning I knew I would love to make a Pupillage, however after looking through the annual statistics (180-something TC against 1000-something Pupillages if I'm not mistaking) I decided it would be easier to secure a TC. However you guys are killing any hopes for anything here At least that GDL will be recognized abroad, am I right?
BTW, what do you think of Metropolitan? Their GDL offer seems to be the cheapest one.
stirred nerd
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
Many countries won’t recognise the GDL - depends where in the world you want to work.
You mean non-common law countries?
stirred nerd
Rep:
?
(180-something TC against 1000-something Pupillages if I'm not mistaking)
Sorry, I meant vice versa.
stirred nerd
Rep:
?
That I heard as well. So you guys are actually hinting there is no point of investing in GDL at all, am I getting it right?

In such case what would you suggest a non-EEA non-law graduate to be internationally recognized? Senior Status LLB?
Bazyli
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
I wasn't joking - they really do want a high standard of English. One mistake and your app is out. Same goes for interviews, where polish and confidence and articulation while under pressure matter. If you haven't reached that standard having studied to Master's level... it doesn't look too promising for you. Take this from someone who's also a non-native speaker and who found this a challenge.

My other worry (based on the exactly two pieces of info you gave us) is that you're entering the game too late. It may take you two, three or more years to get a TC. Do you have anything to do in the meantime? Are you happy to start your TC when you're a bit older? Will you have a right to stay in the UK given that you'll no longer be a student? These are all practical issues and you should think about them.
Hi, I’m just intrigued, what’s your first language? 🙂
stirred nerd
Rep:
?
Why? Is it so ugly or what? Tell me the truth - I promise, I'll stand it
In regard to your question - it's Ukrainian actually.
stirred nerd
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
Even many common law countries won’t recognise it. The GDL tends to only be of use if you want to work in England and Wales.

If you want to work in other countries in the vast majority of cases, you will need to go through the local qualification route there. The GDL rarely gives you exemptions for doing that.
Sad...what are they guys from India and China doing out there in UK then? AFAIK no more than 15% stay there. Turns out others gonna be 'unrecognized' back home
stirred nerd
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
1) a lot of people from China do PG courses just to live in the UK and improve their English.
Haven't they heard of language courses in UK or at least a tourist visa?
Still, what do you think of Metropolitan? Only £6k/annum...
stirred nerd
Rep:
?
I was actually asking from the perspective of tuition fee. Are you aware of any other institution with a cheaper offer? Anyway, according to previous suggestions it will more likely be a wasteful investment for me, so let it be as cost-friendly as possible.
stirred nerd
Rep:
?
To put myself in Chinese shoes
Just kidding...truthfully speaking there are some hopes it will (maybe) provide me with opportunities to make Oxbridge LLM in the distant future.
stirred nerd
Rep:
?
The state they will, in case of graduate degree possession with a distinction at least.
stirred nerd
Rep:
?
Neither will I with SS LLB I suppose?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (147)
17.54%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.83%
No I am happy with my course choice (496)
59.19%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.44%

Watched Threads