The Student Room Group

Self study A levels

Scroll to see replies

Original post by whitneeyle
How aren’t my comments helpful? The poster asked if anybody has done this and I have?

Your comments to me lol
Reply 21
Every course had a component of independent, self directed learning. However, the skills one draws on for this are consistent with what one has done previously. Filling in gaps in learning is not the same as building knowledge from the ground up, especially if you’ve got no prior experience working at that level before.

The majority of my degree level study has involved self directed learning, but always with a framework provided by the university. And, this time around, it took me a lot less time than my peers to work out how to do it because I’d done that level of study before. I would never say I was self taught because I wasn’t. I’d say I’m an independent learner and an experienced one. To be honest, I’m not sure if there is such a thing as self-teaching. If you don’t have the skills to learn at a particular level, you’re not going to do well. Gelle, it sounds like you’ve had to become an independent learner and it’s not stopped you from taking charge of your learning when teaching let you down. But I’m sure you would acknowledge that there was a foundation there and that your experience in your other subjects at that level put you in good stead to do that. It’s not quite the same thing as what the OP is suggesting.

Quick Reply

Latest