Counsel meaning? Watch

Investigating
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
What does it mean if a lawyer works as 'counsel' or 'general counsel' at a law firm, please?
black tea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Investigating)
What does it mean if a lawyer works as 'counsel' or 'general counsel' at a law firm, please?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counsel
Investigating
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I already did this, and I still don't really understand - if they're similar to barristers, why are they necessary?

Also, I thought it had something to do with being a member of a panel of lawyers for a business, in addition to practicing for the law firm itself, but that is all i have managed to gather, and probably incorrectly
The West Wing
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's not a protected term and it means different things at different places. General counsel means they are the head of legal for that law firm's legal affairs (i.e. not client work). Counsel can mean various things but it's usually a senior lawyer who isn't a partner and doesn't have any equity in the firm.
TheBecksta
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would use the term Counsel to describe a Barrister rather than a Solicitor. I work in a small high street firm.
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Traditionally it meant a barrister, but now days it means all sorts of things.

Lots of larger law firms have started calling senior lawyers, who are not quite partners, "Counsel". Mainly just to give them a lofty title now that becoming partner has become more difficult.

A lot of companies call their in-house lawyers "counsel" or "legal counsel" too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (121)
19.45%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (58)
9.32%
No I am happy with my course choice (351)
56.43%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (92)
14.79%

Watched Threads