Went through a red light and cleared a junction to move for police car.

Watch
Sandzy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So a police car come behind me so i moved passed the white line and the lights were on red but after the police car gone i went and drove away while the lights were still on red simply because i was in the middle of a road and if did stay there it would be dangerous for oncoming cars. It was about 1:30 in the morning im scared incase i got caught but I couldn’t do anything the best thing was to clear the junction. Theres wasent any cars in view but the way my car was it was dangerous if cars were to come im really stressed about it incase ive been caught i only tried to do the right thing please help. I even rang 101 to tell them the situation i cant afford to have 3 points on my license im a new driver and its really got me down
S.Toner
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
there will be cctv of the incident more than likely so if anything were to come up you could easily contest it that and the fact your 101 call will have been recorded works in your favour as well just make sure you write down dates and times just incase but I wouldn't worry
nevershear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You'd have a chance of getting away with it if you ever got an NIP and contested it in court, but generally I won't move, because on paper it's not considered an acceptable reason to run a red.
Sandzy
Rep:
?
I had to move for the police because he was literally on my bumper and I couldn’t just sit in the middle of the junction where a dual carriageway ends its got my head killing incase i get caught but if i do i wont be standing for it i done what was best and I wasent just going to sit in the middle of the road.
Sandzy
Rep:
?
I hope i havent been caught the lights I originally went through did not have a camera its the ones when i come off the roundabout that had the cameras
(Original post by S.Toner)
there will be cctv of the incident more than likely so if anything were to come up you could easily contest it that and the fact your 101 call will have been recorded works in your favour as well just make sure you write down dates and times just incase but I wouldn't worry
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nope you did the right thing to move for the blue lights IMO. However, if it were me I would’ve reversed back to where I was unless traffic behind me had also moved forward.

I think you’re worrying over nothing.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The official rules are do not break the law for emergency vehicles, their driver had training and you didn't.

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q699.htm

If you cross the stop line at the junction whilst the lights are on red, you will commit the offence of contravening a red traffic light. However, if there is an emergency vehicle behind you with its emergency warning signals on it might be possible for you to manoeuvre out of the way to allow it through. Ideally this should be to the side of the road without encroaching into the main area of the junction. It should only be done when it is safe to do so without putting yourself or other members of the public in danger and it should only be done slowly and carefully.

It is important to remember that in committing the offence (crossing the stop line) the onus will be on you to provide evidence that you did so to allow an emergency vehicle through, and this may be considered as mitigation.

For further consideration Rule 219 of The Highway Code states:

You should look and listen for ambulances, fire engines, police, doctors or other emergency vehicles using flashing blue, red or green lights and sirens or flashing headlights, or Highways Agency Traffic Officer and Incident Support vehicles using flashing amber lights. When one approaches do not panic. Consider the route of such a vehicle and take appropriate action to let it pass, while complying with all traffic signs. If necessary, pull to the side of the road and stop, but try to avoid stopping before the brow of a hill, a bend or narrow section of road. Do not endanger yourself, other road users or pedestrians and avoid mounting the kerb. Do not brake harshly on approach to a junction or roundabout, as a following vehicle may not have the same view as you.
Last edited by ecolier; 2 years ago
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sandzy)
So a police car come behind me so i moved passed the white line and the lights were on red but after the police car gone i went and drove away while the lights were still on red simply because i was in the middle of a road and if did stay there it would be dangerous for oncoming cars. It was about 1:30 in the morning im scared incase i got caught but I couldn’t do anything the best thing was to clear the junction. Theres wasent any cars in view but the way my car was it was dangerous if cars were to come im really stressed about it incase ive been caught i only tried to do the right thing please help. I even rang 101 to tell them the situation i cant afford to have 3 points on my license im a new driver and its really got me down
As long as this wasn't in London you should be fine.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You may have done the correct thing, morally - but legally speaking, you did not. Highway Code says you shouldn't run a red for emergency services ever! It's against the law to go through a red light, for whatever reason. You try to pull to the side if you can. But if you can't, you just have to wait.

You were lucky. But next time, you could have endangered your own life and other drivers.
AsithU
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
reverse?
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you get a notification through the post, appeal it.

You didn't want to hold up the emergency vehicle and then with you moving out into the junction your decision was that the safest solution was to proceed with extreme caution.

If they don't accept your written appeal take it to court. If the magistrates don't accept your defense, take it to a jury court. No jury would convict you in these circumstances.

There's no way you should be punished in any way for what you've done.

In future don't wait for the emergency vehicle to get right up to your bumper before moving out of the way. Anticipate their arrival and move out of the way safely before then.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dunnig Kruger)
If you get a notification through the post, appeal it.

You didn't want to hold up the emergency vehicle and then with you moving out into the junction your decision was that the safest solution was to proceed with extreme caution.

If they don't accept your written appeal take it to court. If the magistrates don't accept your defense, take it to a jury court. No jury would convict you in these circumstances.

There's no way you should be punished in any way for what you've done.

In future don't wait for the emergency vehicle to get right up to your bumper before moving out of the way. Anticipate their arrival and move out of the way safely before then.
That's not how it works I'm afraid - it's a strict liability offence.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You weren't morally at fault but I have observed someone running a red light to get out of a police car's way (they had sirens going and everything) and unbelievably (to me) the police car then suddenly found the time to stop their car and issue the driver with a ticket! I mean, if they had that much time, why were their sirens going like it was an emergency? Probably in a hurry to get back to the station for a coffee and doughnut!

I was gobsmacked and since then I have been really hard about not moving out of the way for police or emergency vehicles if doing so means that I will be breaking the highway code.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AsithU)
reverse?
Reverse back over a crossing whilst the lights are red? Nope.

Personally I probably would've moved forward out of the crossing if it was safe to do so, but apparently this would not have been a good option either.
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
That's not how it works I'm afraid - it's a strict liability offence.
https://www.defence-barrister.co.uk/...t-will-i-go-to

Crossing a junction with a red traffic light, with no traffic and no risk of accident would be a summary offense.
Summary offenses are usually heard at a magistrates court. However:
"Even if the Magistrates/District Judge are content for the case to remain in the Magistrates’ Court, the defendant is still entitled to elect trial by jury in the Crown Court."

I call nonsense on this being a strict liability case. In this example the OP had the choice of going through a red traffic light or obstructing an emergency vehicle. Strict liability doesn't apply in such a case - as the OP through no fault of his own was put in a position where he had a choice of breaking 2 normally sensible traffic rules.

Having gone through the red light to make way, in the circumstances, proceeding across the junction with extreme caution was as safe as reversing. By going forwards he'd get clear of the junction quicker than by reversing.

No reasonable person would expect the OP to pay a fine or get points on his license for this.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
OP you did the right thing. the case will be laughed out of court if it gets that far ( which i doubt ).
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dunnig Kruger)
https://www.defence-barrister.co.uk/...t-will-i-go-to

Crossing a junction with a red traffic light, with no traffic and no risk of accident would be a summary offense.
Summary offenses are usually heard at a magistrates court. However:
"Even if the Magistrates/District Judge are content for the case to remain in the Magistrates’ Court, the defendant is still entitled to elect trial by jury in the Crown Court."

I call nonsense on this being a strict liability case. In this example the OP had the choice of going through a red traffic light or obstructing an emergency vehicle. Strict liability doesn't apply in such a case - as the OP through no fault of his own was put in a position where he had a choice of breaking 2 normally sensible traffic rules.

Having gone through the red light to make way, in the circumstances, proceeding across the junction with extreme caution was as safe as reversing. By going forwards he'd get clear of the junction quicker than by reversing.

No reasonable person would expect the OP to pay a fine or get points on his license for this.
I'm afraid this is simply how it works. The Highway Code is very clear in this regard - you should not cross the stop line even to make way for an emergency vehicle.

There is no defence for allowing an emergency vehicle to pass - you MUST be convicted. A court can take it into account as a special circumstance, but the conviction will stand.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
OP you did the right thing. the case will be laughed out of court if it gets that far ( which i doubt ).
Unfortunately it doesn't work this way; it's actually quite a big problem in London where the majority of junctions are camera controlled.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
I'm afraid this is simply how it works. The Highway Code is very clear in this regard - you should not cross the stop line even to make way for an emergency vehicle.

There is no defence for allowing an emergency vehicle to pass - you MUST be convicted. A court can take it into account as a special circumstance, but the conviction will stand.
this is rubbish... no offence. we are not living in North Korea. the forces of law and order have discretion and there is room for common sense to be used.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
this is rubbish... no offence. we are not living in North Korea. the forces of law and order have discretion and there is room for common sense to be used.
Not with a strict liability offence.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.35%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.1%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
17.96%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (64)
26.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.18%

Watched Threads