The EU Election Results: The aftermath Watch

Mister Fantastic
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I woke up and checked the Guardian comments section and was suprised to be told the Lib Dems had secured a massive victory.

Then I checked the map.

Name:  map.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  47.3 KB
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Both sides will argue they won, nothing changes.
Mister Fantastic
Rep:
?
That I agree on.
(Original post by Andrew97)
Both sides will argue they won, nothing changes.
.ACS.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
From a votes perspective, all we see is that the UK continues to be markedly divided on the issue with no sign of respite ahead. The problem is that both sides are so entrenched, and the issue has become such a divisive one, that one wonders if there can be any amicable solution going forward which unites both sides or is palatable to both equally.
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you were to calculate these figures to a second referendum.

One could argue 31% leave. (Brexit Party)
Plus 8.7 leave conservative

Remain the rest.

Sounds like a second referendum would yield remain.
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Mister Fantastic)
I woke up and checked the Guardian comments section and was suprised to be told the Lib Dems had secured a massive victory.

Then I checked the map.

Name:  map.jpg
Size:  47.3 KB
This map is based on who got the most votes per constituency. The Brexit Party got the most votes across the entire country, hence the sea of turquoise.

The vote is pretty much split on Remain vs No Deal, with an upper hand for Remain.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)

Remain the rest.

I don’t think it’s as simple as just adding up percentages.

On the Brexit party it’s clear the bulk of those are Brexiteers, while Lib Dem will be bulk remain.

On the Green Party I don’t think it’s a given to claim that all voters want a second ref, a proportion would have voted on their environmental stance. Labour is split and the Tories are leave.

Furthermore turnout was down in leave areas, I don’t think this can be used to predict a referendum result.
Prussianxo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)

Remain the rest.

On the Brexit party it’s clear the bulk of those are Brexiteers, while Lib Dem will be bulk remain.

On the Green Party I don’t think it’s a given to claim that all voters want a second ref, a proportion would have voted on their environmental stance. Labour is split and the Tories are leave.

Furthermore turnout was down in leave areas, I don’t think this can be used to predict a referendum result.
you also have to remember many leavers probably don't like the idea of leaving the EU without a deal, but there isn't really a party that represents that except maybe the Tory's but no-one really wants to vote for them. probably explains that low turnout in leave areas
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Mister Fantastic
Rep:
?
Name:  brex.jpg
Size:  37.3 KB
London V's the rest.
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Right wing parties like UKIP have historically always done pretty good in EU elections because of the low turnout that EU elections tend to get - only the passionate anti brexit boys reliably turn up to vote in these things so it's unsurprising that the breakfast party did well. They have "won the election" so to speak.

It is a victory for the Lib Dems in the sense that they had quite a big surge at the cost of labour and conservative. We've got quite a few Lib Dem MEPs now which is a fairly new thing. Greens also did surprisingly okay considering their usual performance in every election ever.

Basically anti brexit is still a thicc viewpoint but remain parties have had a bit of a surge which they're quite excited about.
anarchism101
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This was a pretty bad result for anyone hoping to make it through the Brexit morass in anything resembling a consensus or compromise way. The two parties which, in different ways, attempted to appeal at some level to both Leavers and Remainers, got crushed. Hard Brexit and Hard Remain parties both boomed. Strong chance this will now worsen as Labour drift more towards Remain and the Tories towards No Deal, which the likely final collapses of Change UK and UKIP consolidate the stronger Remain and Leave parties. We're in for messy politics for a while to come.
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Was simply trying to extract some value from the excercise, other then Nigels extended tax reduced salary and EU pension.
Trotsky's Iceaxe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I actually think the biggest story is the demise of the Conservatives.

Less than 10% in a nation wide election is humiliating.

It's clear that they don't have the support of the country. Ideally they'd declare a general election. However they won't as they' always put party before country.
Mister Fantastic
Rep:
?
Tusk: Just make sure I'm not sitting next to Farage.
Aide: Don't worry Donald I have sorted the seating arrangements and you're sitting next to dear old pensioner named Ann Widdecombe
Tusk: That sounds much better.

Name:  ann.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  18.2 KB
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe)
I actually think the biggest story is the demise of the Conservatives.

Less than 10% in a nation wide election is humiliating.

It's clear that they don't have the support of the country. Ideally they'd declare a general election. However they won't as they' always put party before country.
Personally, I think they will call an election. Not because they want to - your right that their instincts always lie with the best way of getting power, but I think they will honestly see no choice.

Who ever is chosen as the new leader will be standing on one of the weakest political platforms in British political history. They are heading a minority government, in which there is no clear consensus.. in a parliament that has rejected every option.. and with no personal mandate from the people, and no clear manifesto to use to justify their actions.. etc.

I honestly think that they will see that there is no choice, its call an election and hopefully be in a position to do what they want, and at worst loose and not have to take responsibility for the mess that follows.. or not call an election and go down as may-2.0, the next failure of a priminister.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who do you think will be the next PM?

Boris Johnson (162)
74.31%
Jeremy Hunt (56)
25.69%

Watched Threads