Nisathesharp
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have a budget of £1000 and am looking to buy a computer, not sure if it is going to be a laptop, desktop or both a laptop and a desktop computer. If both, I'd have to split the budget for each.
What would my computer needs be if I go to a university for BSc Computer Science? Like, will it really need to be mobile? is a huge gaming laptop ok to carry around in the campus?
I don't game much but I'd probably like to do a bit of gaming if possible. I wil definitely need 16GB RAM.
What I can't decide is, will it need to be a desktop computer or a laptop, if laptop, will it need to be an ultrabook or a gaming laptop?. I just want to make sure if I'm not missing any conditions. Like will I really need graphics power?
If desktop, I can build my own computer, if ultrabook I'd get something like Dell XPS 13 where money is spent on looks rather than numbers. If I can carry a huge laptop around, I'd get something like Helios 300. if I have to buy both, I'd get low spec stuff and upgrade the desktop later whilst using the laptop to survive. I just want some advice, things that I'm probably missing out.
niteninja1
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Personally when i started uni I went from desktop to gaming laptop. Remember its not just about uni its transporting it home over the holidays etc.

Your uni will provide a lab of some kind that has all the software etc you need on it. But I still prefer my own device.
(Original post by Nisathesharp)
I have a budget of £1000 and am looking to buy a computer, not sure if it is going to be a laptop, desktop or both a laptop and a desktop computer. If both, I'd have to split the budget for each.
What would my computer needs be if I go to a university for BSc Computer Science? Like, will it really need to be mobile? is a huge gaming laptop ok to carry around in the campus?
I don't game much but I'd probably like to do a bit of gaming if possible. I wil definitely need 16GB RAM.
What I can't decide is, will it need to be a desktop computer or a laptop, if laptop, will it need to be an ultrabook or a gaming laptop?. I just want to make sure if I'm not missing any conditions. Like will I really need graphics power?
If desktop, I can build my own computer, if ultrabook I'd get something like Dell XPS 13 where money is spent on looks rather than numbers. If I can carry a huge laptop around, I'd get something like Helios 300. if I have to buy both, I'd get low spec stuff and upgrade the desktop later whilst using the laptop to survive. I just want some advice, things that I'm probably missing out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (706)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (889)
42.72%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.89%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads