The Student Room Group

Oxford?

I did not perform as well as I would have liked to in my GCSE exams, therefore I had to change my A levels from Biology, Chemistry and Physics to Economics, Ancient History and English Literature. I do not enjoy these subjects and wanted to do Biology at Oxford but, I think that I would be prevented from doing so by my GCSE's; is there anything that I can do or should I stop trying?
Original post by JoshuaRussell16
I did not perform as well as I would have liked to in my GCSE exams, therefore I had to change my A levels from Biology, Chemistry and Physics to Economics, Ancient History and English Literature. I do not enjoy these subjects and wanted to do Biology at Oxford but, I think that I would be prevented from doing so by my GCSE's; is there anything that I can do or should I stop trying?

what gcses did you get?
Hi, I actually have an answer to this. I have a thread called the Oxford parents association. One of the parents’ sons and the parent themselves ( user name scotney) went to the Oxford biology open day in 2014. Apparently the gcse requirement is 8 a stars at gcse level. Hope this answers your question
Original post by Oxford Mum
Hi, I actually have an answer to this. I have a thread called the Oxford parents association. One of the parents’ sons and the parent themselves ( user name scotney) went to the Oxford biology open day in 2014. Apparently the gcse requirement is 8 a stars at gcse level. Hope this answers your question

I think it's more likely that the average no. of A*s at GCSE for successful applicants is 8, not the requirement itself. Source: Went to oxford open day/conferences last year.

To answer your question OP, to study Biology at Oxford you need to be taking Biology and at least one other science at A-Level, so they won't let you in regardless of how well you perform in your current subjects.
Reply 4
You'd be prevented from taking biology at uni by your subject 'choices', not your GCSEs. Are you in year 12?
I don’t know what you got in your GCSEs but if you had to change your A level choices I’ll assume that it’s not enough to get into Oxford and at this point it’s probably wise to give up on that. You can still do biology however, but you will need biology A level or equivalent so you might need to take an extra year or to do that (idk what year you are in) if you still want to do it
Sorry you are correct. 8 will be the average

Quick Reply

Latest