Chuka Umunna: Will he bounce back?

Watch
Mister Fantastic
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Because as political bad decisions go his takes some beating. He was the Blairites heir apparent, now he is lost. The party he formed have been a total disaster from start to finish. His only hope is Starmer takes over and asks him to return because I wager Corbyn hate his guts. It's hard not to laugh.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Don’t really care. The dude is so egotistical he named the party after himself.
spectral_theory
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I simply can't contain my excitement.
ColinDent
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Nah, he's fooked as are the rest of the change UK 7, or 6 or whatever they are.
Totally irrelevant and will be consigned to the annals of history as cowards that wouldn't back the courage of their convictions by going back to the public and asking them to have truly representative MP's speaking for them in parliament.
Not that the rest of parliament is truly representative as the map of how the UK voted on Thursday clearly demonstrates.
Wōden
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
*Unironically call themselves, 'Change UK'.*

Policies: Stay in the EU, maintain Blairite status quo, change nothing at all.
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I had to google who that even was, which says it all really.

Change UK is just a pro-remain halfway house between Labour and Tory, which the Lib Dems already filled. I can't think of any party being less in demand than CUK. There's no chance of them bouncing back without either some sort of radically different policy or a big personality in charge. They have the potential for neither given who's currently in the party.
Smack
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Change UK are really about going back to a time before populism got popular, when the two main parties were led by fairly centrist leaders who'd try and win by appealing to the middle.

I wouldn't anticipate any of the current Change UK MPs would win their seat again in a General Election. There isn't room for another Lib Dem party.
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Mister Fantastic)
Because as political bad decisions go his takes some beating. He was the Blairites heir apparent, now he is lost. The party he formed have been a total disaster from start to finish. His only hope is Starmer takes over and asks him to return because I wager Corbyn hate his guts. It's hard not to laugh.
Britain is too racist for a black premier for now.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by mgi)
Britain is too racist for a black premier for now.
I strongly disagree with this. I think we are to racist/islamaphobic for an Islamic pm, but the racial attitude studies are pretty clear on how is un-racist British people are towards black people. The UK is primed and ready for their "British Obama" as he will inevitably(and ironically racistly) be called. Who ever it may be will get huge media and cultural support, and win huge swaths of the middle-class vote just off the back of the less politically minded thinking it's progressive to have our first black pm.

Personally I'm looking at James cleverly as being the potential first.. hes moving in tge right direction currently, but it's a little to soon for him this time round.. hes a Tory, which helps him win over the toughest demographics for a black candidate, and he's a military veteran for anyone who would try and uppose him on a patriotic/nationalistic platform.
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
I strongly disagree with this. I think we are to racist/islamaphobic for an Islamic pm, but the racial attitude studies are pretty clear on how is un-racist British people are towards black people. The UK is primed and ready for their "British Obama" as he will inevitably(and ironically racistly) be called. Who ever it may be will get huge media and cultural support, and win huge swaths of the middle-class vote just off the back of the less politically minded thinking it's progressive to have our first black pm.

Personally I'm looking at James cleverly as being the potential first.. hes moving in tge right direction currently, but it's a little to soon for him this time round.. hes a Tory, which helps him win over the toughest demographics for a black candidate, and he's a military veteran for anyone who would try and uppose him on a patriotic/nationalistic platform.
Sajid is not Islamic. Black people suffer more racism in Britain than any other ethnicity. It is ridiculous to say that Britain is unracist towards black people. Nonsense!
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by mgi)
Sajid is not Islamic. Black people suffer more racism in Britain than any other ethnicity. It is ridiculous to say that Britain is unracist towards black people. Nonsense!
I didn't say he was Islamic..? No where was he even mentioned in either of our posts.

& Day to day experianxes of racism do not mean that the country is overwhelmingly racist. Think about how many people you interact with in a day, even if one per day did sometging racist towards you, every day.. it would still be a tiny minority of the people you interact with. It also doesn't matter at all when looking at could a black person become pm.

The national data is very clear, the UK is one of the least racist countries in the world, and one of the most acepting of people from different races and ethnicities. London had its first non-white major, the British public reacted very well to the first non-white royal etc. Race attitudes as a whole have changed massively.

The problem with just looking at things in terms of: "there are still some bad people who descriminate against us" is that they are a shrinking and small group.. and in terms of an election it doesn't account for the othersie.. sure there will be a group of people who don't vote for him because he is black.. but equally there will be a group, I would argue bigger, who will vote for him precisely because he is black. A black candidate takes almost all of the progressive vote, and almost all of the minority vote before any policies are even anoumced (presuming Brexit is resolved by then and we are back to normal politics)

As for black people being the most descriminated against, that's not what I see, so I would love to see some evidence that they are more descriminated against then islamic minorities
Last edited by fallen_acorns; 10 months ago
BosslyGaming
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
He's finished and I'm ever so glad about it.
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
I didn't say he was Islamic..? No where was he even mentioned in either of our posts.

& Day to day experianxes of racism do not mean that the country is overwhelmingly racist. Think about how many people you interact with in a day, even if one per day did sometging racist towards you, every day.. it would still be a tiny minority of the people you interact with. It also doesn't matter at all when looking at could a black person become pm.

The national data is very clear, the UK is one of the least racist countries in the world, and one of the most acepting of people from different races and ethnicities. London had its first non-white major, the British public reacted very well to the first non-white royal etc. Race attitudes as a whole have changed massively.

The problem with just looking at things in terms of: "there are still some bad people who descriminate against us" is that they are a shrinking and small group.. and in terms of an election it doesn't account for the othersie.. sure there will be a group of people who don't vote for him because he is black.. but equally there will be a group, I would argue bigger, who will vote for him precisely because he is black. A black candidate takes almost all of the progressive vote, and almost all of the minority vote before any policies are even anoumced (presuming Brexit is resolved by then and we are back to normal politics)

As for black people being the most descriminated against, that's not what I see, so I would love to see some evidence that they are more descriminated against then islamic minorities
I never claimed that Britain was "overwhelmingly racist". That was your phrase. You are thinking of the overt obvious type of racism. I am thinking of overt and institutional racism which black people are subjected more than any other group. Black people with excellent qualifications are more likely to be unemployed that any ethnic group. The education system discriminates against black people at all levels from schools to uni applications. There are very few black headteachers in tbe entire country but many thousands who are white. Same thing in the football premier league where black people play football but are'" barred "'from being managers. Every institution in Britain routinely discriminates against black people.eg police force, NHS, education, civil service, politics, legal system. I am not talking about the obvious overt racist behaviour that you "don't see". Government data suggests that Asians are not discriminated against as much as black people.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (256)
33.86%
No (500)
66.14%

Watched Threads