Aberdeen student accommodation - fully booked by July? Watch

Klutzz
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I have applied for a 2 year postgraduate course at Aberdeen starting September 2019 and I have been looking into accommodation options. I will not find out if I have been accepted on to the course until mid-end of July which obviously doesn't leave much time to find somewhere to live.

Student accommodation seems like a good option to me as it'll be much easier to organise in such a short time. However I have never stayed in halls/student accommodation so I am not sure how the process of applying normally works. Is everywhere normally fully booked by the end of July? I am eligible to apply for postgraduate halls through Aberdeen uni once I have an offer but it already looks like there aren't many rooms left.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Klutzz)
I have applied for a 2 year postgraduate course at Aberdeen starting September 2019 and I have been looking into accommodation options. I will not find out if I have been accepted on to the course until mid-end of July which obviously doesn't leave much time to find somewhere to live.

Student accommodation seems like a good option to me as it'll be much easier to organise in such a short time. However I have never stayed in halls/student accommodation so I am not sure how the process of applying normally works. Is everywhere normally fully booked by the end of July? I am eligible to apply for postgraduate halls through Aberdeen uni once I have an offer but it already looks like there aren't many rooms left.
It depends what you mean by student accommodation. If it's privately run student halls, then they usually have rooms left right up to September (they might not be the greatest rooms, but at such short notice you might not have much choice anyway). If it's university-owned halls, then you might need to contact them for advice regarding availability. Some people will inevitably have unconditional postgrad offers, and therefore are able to book rooms straight away, which might explain the current availability.

Do you currently have an offer? If so, I would personally ask your university about how lenient they are regarding letting students cancel their tenancy agreements if they don't meet their offer. If they won't hold you to the contract if you fail to get in, then you should book something now if possible.
Klutzz
Rep:
?
Unfortunately I don't have an offer yet. The deadline for the course I am applying for isn't actually until the 31st of May with interviews being held in June/July. It's a really quick turnaround and means I only have around a month to find accommodation if I do get an offer which is such a nightmare! I might contact them to ask about my options. Thanks for the help!
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Unfortunately I don't have an offer yet. The deadline for the course I am applying for isn't actually until the 31st of May with interviews being held in June/July. It's a really quick turnaround and means I only have around a month to find accommodation if I do get an offer which is such a nightmare! I might contact them to ask about my options. Thanks for the help!
Definitely contact them then in that case, especially to ask if they guarantee accommodation for first year postgrads. If they don't, you'll just have to be really on the ball with which accommodation you want to book as soon as you get an offer.
Accommodation Aberdeen
Badges: 3
Report 5 months ago

Hi Klutzz,

Don't worry, all new students to the University of Aberdeen (postgrad and undergrad) are guaranteed accommodation with us provided that you apply before the deadline of the 22nd August! (You can find out more about this at the following link to our website https://www.abdn.ac.uk/accommodation...ee_for_web.pdf )

Thanks,
Accommodation Team.
Klutzz
Rep:
?
Hi, thanks very much for your reply. Do you get a choice in where you would like to stay? I noticed that Zetland house and trinity Court have ensuite options whereas south house does not, will these be an option for me or is it only south house? Thanks
(Original post by Accommodation Aberdeen)
Hi Klutzz,

Don't worry, all new students to the University of Aberdeen (postgrad and undergrad) are guaranteed accommodation with us provided that you apply before the deadline of the 22nd August! (You can find out more about this at the following link to our website https://www.abdn.ac.uk/accommodation...ee_for_web.pdf )

Thanks,
Accommodation Team.
Accommodation Aberdeen
Badges: 3
Report 5 months ago
Hi, thanks very much for your reply. Do you get a choice in where you would like to stay? I noticed that Zetland house and trinity Court have ensuite options whereas south house does not, will these be an option for me or is it only south house? Thanks
Hi,

Yes you get to put down your top 3 choices when you apply. Trinity Court and Zetland House are both available for Postgraduate students as well as South House
The following link takes you directly to the postgraduate options on our website https://www.abdn.ac.uk/accommodation...te&catering=xx

Thanks,
Accommodation Team.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Nov '19
  • University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties - Undergraduate and Postgraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (218)
70.32%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
18.71%
Yes but I might change my mind (34)
10.97%

Watched Threads