Purifying organic liquids help

Watch
Bertybassett
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I am slightly confused on the steps and order of purifying an organic liquid. So i've seen a couple of sources say use a separating funnel, but my textbook says that this is done when the product is insoluble in water? if we were purifying say an ester, surely this is soluble in water? so why would we use the separating funnel?

am I correct in thinking that after this, we then add a drying agent, filter to remove the dring agent, then carry out distillation?

Do you always add the drying agent first (then fitler), and then distillation?

i'm basically a little confused on the order and when and why we use the separating funnel?

thanks
Chinemerem1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Bertybassett)
Hi, I am slightly confused on the steps and order of purifying an organic liquid. So i've seen a couple of sources say use a separating funnel, but my textbook says that this is done when the product is insoluble in water? if we were purifying say an ester, surely this is soluble in water? so why would we use the separating funnel?

am I correct in thinking that after this, we then add a drying agent, filter to remove the dring agent, then carry out distillation?

Do you always add the drying agent first (then fitler), and then distillation?

i'm basically a little confused on the order and when and why we use the separating funnel?

thanks
You distil, then drying agent, then carry out redistillation.

The separating funnel has two layers, aqueous and organic, so I would assume esters are immiscible in water, since esters are organic. When I think back to GCSE I remember one of the properties of perfumes/esters is that they should be insoluble in water they don't wash off easily.
Bertybassett
Rep:
that's not the order others have said though. so are all organic liquids immiscible/insoluble?
(Original post by Chinemerem1)
You distil, then drying agent, then carry out redistillation.

The separating funnel has two layers, aqueous and organic, so I would assume esters are immiscible in water, since esters are organic. When I think back to GCSE I remember one of the properties of perfumes/esters is that they should be insoluble in water they don't wash off easily.
Claisen
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Long chain esters = not miscible in water therefore we can using liquid-liquid extraction (separating funnel).
Short chain esters = miscible in water therefore we can use distillation.

Dehydrating agent is good for removing water / aqueous acid catalyst. If you are interested in chemistry, you could read up about the Dean-Stark apparatus.
Chinemerem1
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Bertybassett)
that's not the order others have said though. so are all organic liquids immiscible/insoluble?
I was going off my textbook (OCR).
No, polar organic liquid are usually soluble.
Bertybassett
Rep:
this vid uses a different order https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oKC0EYoHbQ
(Original post by Chinemerem1)
I was going off my textbook (OCR).
No, polar organic liquid are usually soluble.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (29)
7.09%
October 2021 (189)
46.21%
November 2021 (42)
10.27%
December 2021 (53)
12.96%
January 2021 (45)
11%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (38)
9.29%