The Student Room Group

going to uni as a 20 year old

I am a 19 year old with the oppertunity to go to uni this year, but i chose a degree thats not directly relevent to any job i may want to do, repeated a year of sixth form already, considering taking a year out to decide, im going there for the experience as much as anything, as a 20/21 year old, am i going to find it hard to fit in/get girls/make friends? let me know your experiences pls

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You're gonna be fine. People won't care about your age, stop worrying.
You will be absolutely fine I live with two people at university older than me. I had no idea they were older than me until it came up in conversation. Honestly most of my good friends from work are way older than me at around 30 and we get along perfectly well! Age is but a number.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by lifeexp2926
I am a 19 year old with the oppertunity to go to uni this year, but i chose a degree thats not directly relevent to any job i may want to do, repeated a year of sixth form already, considering taking a year out to decide, im going there for the experience as much as anything, as a 20/21 year old, am i going to find it hard to fit in/get girls/make friends? let me know your experiences pls

I think your worries are unfounded, you'll do just fine.
20 is basically a child
Practically a fetus tbh.
Original post by CHANELDIAMONDS
20 is basically a child
Reply 6
People who take gap years are the same age as you, a lot of people re-sit at a levels making them older and some courses are 5 years long...also making the majority of them older. Plus some people just take time off, transfer a year later...
Plus people who are born in September will go into uni being older than most. I think you'll be fine, my sister re-sat and went at 19 (turning twenty within the first semester) and is fine making friends and dating.
Original post by Themysticalegg
Practically a fetus tbh.

took the words right outta my mouth x
Yep resits and gap yars are actually very common. :biggrin:
Original post by Ibby_
People who take gap years are the same age as you, a lot of people re-sit at a levels making them older and some courses are 5 years long...also making the majority of them older. Plus some people just take time off, transfer a year later...
Plus people who are born in September will go into uni being older than most. I think you'll be fine, my sister re-sat and went at 19 (turning twenty within the first semester) and is fine making friends and dating.
I started my current degree at 25 and have a wide circle of friends. There was no challenge in that aspect!
true, but in sixth form for example the older ones stand out, and i look older than i am anyway
20 is basically a child
Practically a fetus tbh.

woah woah......back tf up. Fetus's don't get much respect nowadays
true, but in sixth form for example the older ones stand out, and i look older than i am anyway

a year older isn’t deep.

sixth form is a world apart from uni mate. I finished sixth form last year aged 19 and i'm on a gap year so i'll be starting uni aged 20. My mates at uni right now say a lot of people on their courses and a few in halls are a year or two older than 18.

No issue
2 years*
a year older isn’t deep.
Reply 15
I'm the oldest at my sixth form, ill be starting uni at 19, I'm pretty sure I don't stick out...or I thought I didn't. Plus aren't your work friends older and younger, doubt your age stopped you making friends there so why should it stop you at uni. Like I'm 18 and have work friends who's ages vary from 16-24, sometimes older than that.
(edited 4 years ago)
Yeahh fam you know what's gwarning, do you know my man Stormzy? @Oxford Mum @harrysbar (Have I just embarrassed myself trying to be down with the kids)

a year older isn’t deep.
You definitely wouldn't. I am nearly 23 and I still get ID'd. I stick out like a sore thumb.
Original post by Ibby_
I'm the oldest at my sixth form, ill be starting uni at 19, I'm pretty sure I don't stick out...or I thought I didn't.
Yeahh fam you know what's gwarning, do you know my man Stormzy? @Oxford Mum @harrysbar (Have I just embarrassed myself trying to be down with the kids)

hahaha....nah trust fam, saw the mandem down at mackydees...(that's 18 year old speak for mcdonalds )

You'll be just fine. Even in the first year, you get people of all ages :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending