EU Parliament Elections

Watch
JackDemetriou
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Why did the Brexit Party do so well in the EU Parliament Elections? They are in-favour of a no-deal Brexit which I think would be the worst thing for this country. This may not be a popular opinion but I think that the PM's new deal proposed is the best option we have right now. Who did you vote for and why? What are the benefits of a no-deal Brexit?

Funny how Scotland in the Brexit referendum majority voted to remain in the EU, and at the EU Parliamen Elections voted for the SNP (Who I hate btw) a remainer party.
AdamB007
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think maybe more people voted for brexit party because they felt they were best able to deal with the whole situation and get a deal across ? Seeing as labour and conservatives weren’t really cutting it, lots of party splits and disunity over brexit. Also as we just saw Theresa May’s proposed deal was rejected multiple times to make matters worse. With brexit party, people may think they are able to best deal with brexit as that is the intention of the party.
JackDemetriou
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Well, if UKIP are any indication then I wouldn't hold the Brexit Party to there word.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Because the Tories and labour are ass holes.
More seriously though it was a classically low turnout of only 30 odd percent and farage is good at mobilising his vocal zealots to vote whilst the average person doesn’t really care that much about those elections, they’d rather demonstrate their displeasure at the national elections.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JackDemetriou)
Well, if UKIP are any indication then I wouldn't hold the Brexit Party to there word.
It would probably help their cause if they actually had one aside from “Brexit” they’re not so much a party (especially with no manifesto worth a damn) as a pressure group of insanely loud whiners prattling on about WWII
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why did the Brexit Party do so well in the EU Parliament Elections? They are in-favour of a no-deal Brexit which I think would be the worst thing for this country. This may not be a popular opinion but I think that the PM's new deal proposed is the best option we have right now. Who did you vote for and why? What are the benefits of a no-deal Brexit?

Funny how Scotland in the Brexit referendum majority voted to remain in the EU, and at the EU Parliamen Elections voted for the SNP (Who I hate btw) a remainer party.
The Brexit Party succeeded in the UK European Elections because Farage is able to offer clarity on Brexit and he certainly has charisma and can connect with the electorate. He did that in the 2014 UK European Elections when he led UKIP as Leader and did it again now and won on an even larger scale.

In terms of who I voted for, I reluctantly voted for Labour in London even though they're considered to be sitting on the fence on Brexit because I'm not too keen on the Lib Dems and knew that my vote wouldn't be wasted compared to voting Change UK as London is generally considered a Labour stronghold. I'm glad Seb Dance MEP is re-elected as he'll do an excellent job in holding Farage, Eurosceptics and the far right into account.

As for the benefits of no-deal Brexit, we're not confined into a customs union or free trade agreement and can pursue seeking our on trade agreements with our foreign partners but clearly the downside to this is the length of time it will take and we'll certainty see a bigger short term hit on economic growth (between 5 - 10% of GDP) compared to a softer Brexit, i.e. Norway style.
clickypen
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

The Brexit party did well in the EU elections for a number of reasons.

The first is that, even though to many it seems that public opinion is shifting away from leaving the EU, millions of people - for whatever reason - still believe that it's the best option for the country. Farage is a widely recognized figurehead within the movement, and unlike the main parties has been consistent in his demand for Brexit. To your average Brexiteer, therefore, it makes sense to entrust your vote to him because you know he won't renege on his promise to attempt to deliver Brexit.

Secondly, aside from UKIP, the Brexit Party was the only party calling for the UK to leave the EU outright. The Conservatives and Labour are both internally divided over the issue, meaning that many Brexiteers who would traditionally vote for the mainstream parties would probably have leant their votes to Farage in order to send a message to the establishment that their support for leaving the EU has not diminished.

However, it's important to point out that the EU elections weren't an unassailable victory for Farage. His party certainly recieved the largest share of the votes cast by a significant margin, but it's important to remember that a number of other parties demanded a second referendum be called and between them they gained a larger number of votes. According to some, this provides a democratic mandate for a second referendum.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (145)
14.4%
I'm not sure (42)
4.17%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (302)
29.99%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.58%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.86%

Watched Threads