A level French essay structure

Watch this thread
bananabananaxo
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I've been really struggling with the essay structure for the essays in the writing exam on the book and the film we need to study. No matter what I try my teacher crosses a lot of the stuff that I write out and I just can't seem to get it write! Someone please help!
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Hi, which exam board are you doing? I'm doing AQA so will describe it as I've been taught to write it, but I don't think it will be that different! I was also struggling with the structure of essays until last term, this is what my teacher told me to do, and I should say that my grades have gone up significantly since changing to using this... don't panic, you will get there

In each of my (2-3, preferably 3) paragraphs, I will use 2-3 examples from the source and briefly explain them, rather than obsessing over small details. You also need to make sure that your evidence is specific to a point in the film, a character, etc. You also may need to bare a word-count in mind... AQA has no upper limit but I think that some boards do, and won't necessarily mark above that word count.

- Be concise
- Don't over-complicate
- Try not to repeat vocab and if possible use a wide range of structures.
- say what YOU think of the film/book
- 2-3 pieces of evidence per paragraph, 2-3 paragraphs, conclusion, intro.
- Write a mini conclusion for each paragraph and use your last conclusion to draw your 3 mini conclusions together.

Perhaps try writing an essay in English and asking your teacher to look over the style? That way you can focus on structure without worrying about grammar, etc.If you're not doing AQA then hopefully this is still relevant, but either way, have a look at some exemplar essays from your exam board.

Bonne chance!
Feel free to message me if you want to talk about it more.
Last edited by redmeercat; 3 years ago
bananabananaxo
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thank you so much! This is really helpful! I'm doing Edexcel but im pretty sure its the same and if not very similar structure. How exactly do you structure the paragraphs?
(Original post by redmeercat)
Hi, which exam board are you doing? I'm doing AQA so will describe it as I've been taught to write it, but I don't think it will be that different! I was also struggling with the structure of essays until last term, this is what my teacher told me to do, and I should say that my grades have gone up significantly since changing to using this... don't panic, you will get there

In each of my (2-3, preferably 3) paragraphs, I will use 2-3 examples from the source and briefly explain them, rather than obsessing over small details. You also need to make sure that your evidence is specific to a point in the film, a character, etc. You also may need to bare a word-count in mind... AQA has no upper limit but I think that some boards do, and won't necessarily mark above that word count.

- Be concise
- Don't over-complicate
- Try not to repeat vocab and if possible use a wide range of structures.
- say what YOU think of the film/book
- 2-3 pieces of evidence per paragraph, 2-3 paragraphs, conclusion, intro.
- Write a mini conclusion for each paragraph and use your last conclusion to draw your 3 mini conclusions together.

Perhaps try writing an essay in English and asking your teacher to look over the style? That way you can focus on structure without worrying about grammar, etc.If you're not doing AQA then hopefully this is still relevant, but either way, have a look at some exemplar essays from your exam board.

Bonne chance!
Feel free to message me if you want to talk about it more.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (15)
15.46%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (25)
25.77%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (53)
54.64%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
4.12%

Watched Threads