Religious people if you had the chance to leave.....would you ?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Doing this for class work , to all people apart of any religion (christianity , judaism , Islam , buddhism etc) if you had the chance to leave your religion would you drop it or carry on through with it

Ignoring what your parents or friends think (and ignoring if your parents will be pissed or not)

Also say why pls , whatever you choose
Anonymous #1
Any particular reason

(you don't have to tell me if you don't want to)
Anonymous #1
ah ok i got it , thank you
Prussianxo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
na keeps me going through hard times and gives me purpose
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I feel like most religious people do have the chance to leave their religion, most of the time?
Kinyonga
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I should hope all religious people have the freedom to leave their religion if they so wish.
Kinyonga
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
I feel like most religious people do have the chance to leave their religion, most of the time?
Hey please can you stop agreeing with me I can't give you any more rep at the moment.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Kinyonga)
I should hope all religious people have the freedom to leave their religion if they so wish.
I don't think its that simple sometimes , then again it depends on how strict family is i think
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
this is dumb. you're still jewish if you leave Judaism.
ibyghee
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why would a religious person wanna leave?
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't think you have any conscious choice regarding your beliefs.
Kinyonga
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I don't think its that simple sometimes , then again it depends on how strict family is i think
Of course it's a generalisation, but then you're generalising with your question as well, which makes it sound as if people very rarely have the choice to leave their religion.
SlightlySummer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No, if you want to leave then leave but if you believe in it then stay. Simple
Gent2324
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
the whole question doesnt make sense.
if i was religious and i didnt like it anymore, i have left the religion regardless of what i say outloud. so to ask if a religious person gets a chance to leave doesnt make sense because they always have a chance to leave when they change their mind
Kinyonga
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Obolinda)
Funny, one of my teachers gave that reply when I asked her why she was an atheist. First time I'd ever heard that perspective.
While I may be influenced by possibly illogical factors, I definitely choose and subscribe to my beliefs consciously.
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ok. I think I have a choice in what material I consume to influence my beliefs, while the actual belief-forming mechanisms act subconsciously. Like I couldn't just consciously chose to believe the continent of Africa no longer exists.
(Original post by Kinyonga)
Funny, one of my teachers gave that reply when I asked her why she was an atheist. First time I'd ever heard that perspective.
While I may be influenced by possibly illogical factors, I definitely choose and subscribe to my beliefs consciously.
Tootles
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Doing this for class work , to all people apart of any religion (christianity , judaism , Islam , buddhism etc) if you had the chance to leave your religion would you drop it or carry on through with it

Ignoring what your parents or friends think (and ignoring if your parents will be pissed or not)

Also say why pls , whatever you choose
Nope. I converted of my own free will, not to please anyone else.
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm not sure who exactly fits under your view of 'religious people' but I would imagine that a person who is really invested in their religion would not want to leave anyway unless it was a matter of force. Also, if they were being forced then were they religious in the first place?

There is no compulsion in religion. Verily, the Right Path has become distinct from the wrong path [al-Baqarah 2:256].
Kinyonga
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ok. I think I have a choice in what material I consume to influence my beliefs, while the actual belief-forming mechanisms act subconsciously. Like I couldn't just consciously chose to believe the continent of Africa no longer exists.
I suppose one could say that things which influence our beliefs can do so subconsciously, but on the other hand you can (and should) bring those things up to the conscious level frequently and ensure they are compatible with your reasoning.
But you couldn't subconsciously say that Africa no longer exists, either.
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm unconvinced of that. I feel like a lot of people believe what they want to, especially when it comes to the effects that their lives have on the world.

But let's take as a premise that people have no conscious control over their beliefs. I see religion as the outward forms that people carry out when they believe something or people expect them to believe a certain thing. There are plenty of people who are part of religions but who don't actually believe in them. Just as more and more people are identifying as ''spiritual but not religious'', it seems possible that there are plenty who are religious but not spiritual.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (103)
5.14%
Uncertainty around my education (301)
15.03%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (213)
10.64%
Lack of purpose or motivation (278)
13.89%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (89)
4.45%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (114)
5.69%
Loneliness (175)
8.74%
Financial worries (72)
3.6%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (88)
4.4%
Exposure to negative news/social media (94)
4.7%
Lack of real life entertainment (109)
5.44%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (177)
8.84%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (189)
9.44%

Watched Threads