xcourtnxy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
The time to choose my A-levels is fast approaching and i am still unsure whether to choose Chemistry or Biology at A-level.. i have also chosen Maths and Geography however i still need to decide between Chemistry and Biology. I don’t know what degree i want to do yet but i wanted to ask peoples’ opinions on the two courses and the advantages and disadvantages for both. Thank you!
harry0572
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Which are you more interested in?
sanyaali_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i'm doing maths biology and chemistry however many people say that chemistry is the hardest but it depends on you. Chemistry is a lot of application during the exam and involves maths so its good to do it with a level maths. Maybe you could choose the one you get a higher grade in
contactprocess
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i don't take biology so i'm biased but chemistry is a lot of problem solving and application, not much memorisation (not much in y12 at least). some of the concepts are tricky to get your head around at first, as you basically have to forget a lot of what you were taught at GCSE.
it's a very rewarding and interesting subject though, definitely my favourite. and it has so many applications

imo it's definitely worth a shot, and if you choose to go down an earth science/geography/geology route it would definitely be useful.

also, most schools allow you to change your a level options within the first few weeks of y12, so if you do regret your choice, you'd most likely be allowed to make a switch!! im only half way through the course but if you have any questions let me know (:
Last edited by contactprocess; 2 years ago
sanyaali_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by contactprocess)
i don't take biology so i'm biased but chemistry is a lot of problem solving and application, not much memorisation (not much in y12 at least). some of the concepts are tricky to get your head around at first, as you basically have to forget a lot of what you were taught at GCSE.
it's a very rewarding and interesting subject though, definitely my favourite. and it has so many applications

imo it's definitely worth a shot, and if you choose to go down an earth science/geography/geology route it would definitely be useful.

also, most schools allow you to change your a level options within the first few weeks of y12, so if you do regret your choice, you'd most likely be allowed to make a switch!! im only half way through the course but if you have any questions let me know (:
How often do you revise and how and if you dont mind what's your predicted grade? x
contactprocess
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i revise each topic thoroughly before every end of topic test, we've had about 10 of those so far so roughly once a month?? and then i can use those notes for mocks etc.
we haven't received our real predicted grades yet but i'm currently on an A/A*

(Original post by sanyaali_)
How often do you revise and how and if you dont mind what's your predicted grade? x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (28)
5.57%
Uncertainty around my education (58)
11.53%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (60)
11.93%
Lack of purpose or motivation (66)
13.12%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (28)
5.57%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (22)
4.37%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (53)
10.54%
Financial worries (30)
5.96%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (20)
3.98%
Exposure to negative news/social media (32)
6.36%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.98%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (49)
9.74%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (42)
8.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed