The Student Room Group

RAF Paramedic

I am about to enrol in a BSc Paramedic Science course at university in September and was wondering what would be the best route for me to become a paramedic in the RAF. I believe that as a paramedic I can only be a reservist if I become an RAF Paramedic but would be great to just know more about the role in the military and different routes in.
Reply 1
The RAF Recruitment website is always a good starting point! It will give you the information you are looking for, including how the paramedic role is available as an RAF Medic, whether full- or part-time.
Thanks, I’ll take a look
Reply 3
Good luck with your studies, and make the most of the opportunities available at uni to build up your extra-curricular activities, whether you go for the RAF or another job in the future.
Reply 5
Original post by TheRealSquiddy

I have told tne OP where he can find the infornation he is looking for and Drewski does not need to be involved; there are others of us on here who are ex-RAF.

Yes, I could have given reams of detail about joining as an RAF Medic (you can't join as a paramedic), but as the military are looking for people who are motivated and committed, pointing them in the direction of the RAF Recruitment website is the right thing to do so they can put some work in. Given that the OP even said he 'believes' you can be a reservist paramedic shows he hasn't really looked it, so now he can read up about the role, salary, benefits, entry requirements etc and make an informed decision.
Original post by Surnia
I have told tne OP where he can find the infornation he is looking for and Drewski does not need to be involved; there are others of us on here who are ex-RAF.

Yes, I could have given reams of detail about joining as an RAF Medic (you can't join as a paramedic), but as the military are looking for people who are motivated and committed, pointing them in the direction of the RAF Recruitment website is the right thing to do so they can put some work in. Given that the OP even said he 'believes' you can be a reservist paramedic shows he hasn't really looked it, so now he can read up about the role, salary, benefits, entry requirements etc and make an informed decision.

I was unaware of that and tagged the only ex-RAF I knew.

However, I'll agree with you on your second point, OP does need to do more research. Regardless of their understanding of the roles, they need to understand the commitment they are making (from what I understand 12 years? I've heard through the grapevine that short commission isn't much given anymore).
Original post by jameswpilbeam
I am about to enrol in a BSc Paramedic Science course at university in September and was wondering what would be the best route for me to become a paramedic in the RAF. I believe that as a paramedic I can only be a reservist if I become an RAF Paramedic but would be great to just know more about the role in the military and different routes in.

Hi

Just for note, there is no specific 'paramedic' role in the RAF that you can apply for now. The Reserve role is no longer direct entry and the RAF medic role is primarily admin-based, not a paramedic role.

Are you looking at a full-time/Regular role in the RAF long-term?

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Original post by RAF_Adam
Hi

Just for note, there is no specific 'paramedic' role in the RAF that you can apply for now. The Reserve role is no longer direct entry and the RAF medic role is primarily admin-based, not a paramedic role.

Are you looking at a full-time/Regular role in the RAF long-term?

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment

Oh okay. I’m really just looking for a role where I can use my NHS Paramedic qualifications in the military, whilst continuing to develop new ones.
I would still like a career in the NHS and to move into different specialties so I think a reservist role would be more suitable.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest