Free Will and God, the issue..

Watch
JustOneMoreThing
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
In Islam it is taught that you have free will, you can choose the Apple over the Orange or vice versa.

Take Adam and Eve for example, did God know what they would do, did He know they would go against his orders and pick a fruit from the tree He said not to?

Now if you say no He didn't know, then comes the problem of omniscience, if He doesn't know something He cannot be 'all knowing' can He.

But let's say you answer with yes, He did, He knew exactly what was going to happen and watched, this poses a problem, if He knew this then what was the point of ordering them and then punishing them, He knew they would sin, so in the larger scale of things He made it happen, He invented this chain of events.

So why do anything?

Thoughts are welcome as always.

Let's say you answer 'yes, but He knows what happens after you choose, He knows what things will happen after you decide, this brings back the issue from the second text, so there really is no logical answer which you can respond with without removing omniscience from the picture or making it so that all events are programmed by God, so there is no point in anything.

Discuss.
Last edited by JustOneMoreThing; 9 months ago
DarthRoar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Inb4 all that 'god is omnipotent and we can't comprehend his motives' BS.
JustOneMoreThing
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by DarthRoar)
Inb4 all that 'god is omnipotent and we can't comprehend his motives' BS.
Makes me wonder what a person's political stance is if they follow that line of thought.
username3900288
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Free will is an illusory concept, as all of your decisions are determined unconsciously and are influenced by your interactions with the environment.
username2013595
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
The more you question religion the more of your precious time you waste because it ends up being a bunch of fallacies. I think about it often and debate people just out of burden but I think that religion has stood to rest the time to justify wars and declare wars in groups of people as well as for those in power to control masses of people. There’s no true explanation for religions as they’re all based on a faith system meaning you believe with no proof.

in terms of free will i agree with the above poster we have free will within the realm of our perception of what society tells us we cannot do
SlightlySummer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Predestination
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Calvinism holds that God literally did ordain the fall, for some reason. Obvious questions include "why" and "the **** bro", but it fixes the basic theological problem I suppose.
Gent2324
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by TheNamesBond.)
In Islam it is taught that you have free will, you can choose the Apple over the Orange or vice versa.

Take Adam and Eve for example, did God know what they would do, did He know they would go against his orders and pick a fruit from the tree He said not to?

Now if you say no He didn't know, then comes the problem of omniscience, if He doesn't know something He cannot be 'all knowing' can He.

But let's say you answer with yes, He did, He knew exactly what was going to happen and watched, this poses a problem, if He knew this then what was the point of ordering them and then punishing them, He knew they would sin, so in the larger scale of things He made it happen, He invented this chain of events.

So why do anything?

Thoughts are welcome as always.

Let's say you answer 'yes, but He knows what happens after you choose, He knows what things will happen after you decide, this brings back the issue from the second text, so there really is no logical answer which you can respond with without removing omniscience from the picture or making it so that all events are programmed by God, so there is no point in anything.

Discuss.
i thought islam teaches predestination? so there is no free will since allah has determined everything that happens?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (130)
59.09%
No (48)
21.82%
Not sure (42)
19.09%

Watched Threads