Flexi Time Boss Keeps Telling Me Off Watch

asoftersin
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
So, I'm quite new to this organisation, 3 months. And used to work for a different organisation both had flexi time schemes. My boss is being a bit of a cow and basically is against me using the flexi scheme where you can get 2 flexi days a month. I had a convo with her a few weeks ago where I was leaving early at 430 but had been in since 8. She is normally in meetings so dont catch her when Im going. She said its fine your in early just let me know when your going. Fast forward a few weeks she is now saying i need to tell her the day before what my start and finish time will be if not normal times 9-5. She is now saying im just coming in early to build up time. I wasnt i just get a free lift from family at 8am. She said I need to suit the needs of the business which I understand but I do not manage anyone in my role, im not in a team and my work is project based so theres not a requirement for me to be there 9-5 everyday.
I dont know whether to take the issue to HR, I can see her point of view but thats what the flexi scheme is for?
Captainusa
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It’s hard to advise without knowing what your contract and your department’s guidance says. Have a look at it as it should provide all the info you need. If she’s acting unfairly discuss it with her quoting the guidance. If no better, then escalate to HR.
(Original post by asoftersin)
So, I'm quite new to this organisation, 3 months. And used to work for a different organisation both had flexi time schemes. My boss is being a bit of a cow and basically is against me using the flexi scheme where you can get 2 flexi days a month. I had a convo with her a few weeks ago where I was leaving early at 430 but had been in since 8. She is normally in meetings so dont catch her when Im going. She said its fine your in early just let me know when your going. Fast forward a few weeks she is now saying i need to tell her the day before what my start and finish time will be if not normal times 9-5. She is now saying im just coming in early to build up time. I wasnt i just get a free lift from family at 8am. She said I need to suit the needs of the business which I understand but I do not manage anyone in my role, im not in a team and my work is project based so theres not a requirement for me to be there 9-5 everyday.
I dont know whether to take the issue to HR, I can see her point of view but thats what the flexi scheme is for?
threeportdrift
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by asoftersin)
As above, it's a bit hard to judge from what you've said. My business allows flexi time, but a lot of staff abuse that by coming in early, via school drop off or before the rush etc, but they don't do any work, they wander around eating lavish breakfasts and having coffees and chats etc. They don't actually do any work because there are no meetings, no email exchanges, no work is progressed, they just lock in earlier. I suspect this may be what your manager is worried about.

You may need to show how you have organised your work so that you use the quiet time before everyone is in to write up papers, or answer emails, or do data analysis or whatever, and not wandering around with a jumbo sized bowl of coco pops!

But different companies run it in very different ways, maybe talk to HR without saying directly there is an issue to see if you can get a feel for the established culture in the organisation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (182)
14.31%
The paper was reasonable (708)
55.66%
Not feeling great about that exam... (284)
22.33%
It was TERRIBLE (98)
7.7%

Watched Threads