The Student Room Group

Falsification symposium - please help meee

Hi guys,
Currently revising for my R.S A-level on the 4th June and I'm confused about the falsification symposium (again)

My question is:
According to the falsification symposium does God exist? Because God's existence can be proven wrong (because of evil and suffering) so doesn't that mean it is scientific and true?? or is that wrong?
Any help would be very much appreciated:smile:
Falsifaction only deals with the meaningfulness of statements, rather than the truth. Ie if you want to assert something, you need to deny its negative
Now technically, to say God exists is meaningful, if you go there is evidence that would make me think the contrary.

Flew, (who has since chanegd his mind on God) would argue that the way Religous beleivers use their language, to say God exists is still meaningless (and he implies is wrong), because instead of accepting contrary evidence (evil/suffering), they choose not to accept any contrary evidence, each time adapting their definition of God until their beleif 'dies the death of a thousand qualifications'. He uses the parable of the invisible Garnder to demonstate this.
Therefore for Flew, the way believers use their language, it is meaningless, and it no longer makes sense to say God exists.

Hare says this, certain bliks (unfalsifiable beliefs) may be meaningless, yet make a big impact on your life, if a student thinks that their teachers are going to kill them it will affect how they behave and act, therefore even unfalfsiable beleifs do hold some meaningful impact on your life.

Basil Mitchell takes this and says, it is OK to believe in something in the face of contrary evidence, using his partisan example
Reply 2
hahaha you seem to be answering all of my questions these days, thank you very much :smile:
Original post by jonolethaby
Falsifaction only deals with the meaningfulness of statements, rather than the truth. Ie if you want to assert something, you need to deny its negative
Now technically, to say God exists is meaningful, if you go there is evidence that would make me think the contrary.

Flew, (who has since chanegd his mind on God) would argue that the way Religous beleivers use their language, to say God exists is still meaningless (and he implies is wrong), because instead of accepting contrary evidence (evil/suffering), they choose not to accept any contrary evidence, each time adapting their definition of God until their beleif 'dies the death of a thousand qualifications'. He uses the parable of the invisible Garnder to demonstate this.
Therefore for Flew, the way believers use their language, it is meaningless, and it no longer makes sense to say God exists.

Hare says this, certain bliks (unfalsifiable beliefs) may be meaningless, yet make a big impact on your life, if a student thinks that their teachers are going to kill them it will affect how they behave and act, therefore even unfalfsiable beleifs do hold some meaningful impact on your life.

Basil Mitchell takes this and says, it is OK to believe in something in the face of contrary evidence, using his partisan example

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending