What is respiration? Watch

liaente
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I literally have been maintaining a vague idea of what it is, but can someone please tell me what exactly it is?
I'm confusion.com and I literally have no idea how I have passed 2 years of GCSE without having a concrete concept on it. Thanks guys.
idk01
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Glucose + oxygen ---> carbon dioxide + water vapour

Oversimplified - it's the breakdown of energy in order to maintain metabolism (chemical processes) and pretty much all other processes. If you move your arm, that requires energy which is released via respiration. Remember that energy is stored in bonds so e.g. glycogen is a STORE of energy and ATP is basically a medium that transports energy.
mnnbv
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Process by which energy (ATP) is made from substrates such as glucose. That is a basic statement on it as least!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Iksu_51
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There are two types; Aerobic and anaerobic. Aerobic releases more ATP and it happens when there is a sufficient supply of oxygen. Anaerobic occurs when there is a lack of oxygen, less energy is released. This is common during intensive exercises and causes muscle fatigue (due to a build up of lactate). This might be in more detail than you need to know but hope it helps!
liaente
Rep:
?
That helps so, so much! Thank you!
(Original post by idk01)
Glucose + oxygen ---> carbon dioxide + water vapour

Oversimplified - it's the breakdown of energy in order to maintain metabolism (chemical processes) and pretty much all other processes. If you move your arm, that requires energy which is released via respiration. Remember that energy is stored in bonds so e.g. glycogen is a STORE of energy and ATP is basically a medium that transports energy.
liaente
Rep:
?
Thanks! So when they say "plants respire", they go through aerobic/anaerobic respiration? So they breakdown glucose molecules to give energy to their cells or something like that?
(Original post by Iksu_51)
There are two types; Aerobic and anaerobic. Aerobic releases more ATP and it happens when there is a sufficient supply of oxygen. Anaerobic occurs when there is a lack of oxygen, less energy is released. This is common during intensive exercises and causes muscle fatigue (due to a build up of lactate). This might be in more detail than you need to know but hope it helps!
liaente
Rep:
?
Thanks!!
(Original post by mnnbv)
Process by which energy (ATP) is made from substrates such as glucose. That is a basic statement on it as least!
Amnz_02
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
respiration is a process in living organisms involving the production of energy, typically with the intake of oxygen and the release of carbon dioxide from the oxidation of complex organic substances.
liaente
Rep:
?
Thank chu!!
(Original post by Amnz_02)
respiration is a process in living organisms involving the production of energy, typically with the intake of oxygen and the release of carbon dioxide from the oxidation of complex organic substances.
Amnz_02
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
no probss xx
(Original post by liaente)
Thank chu!!
Iksu_51
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When plants respire its normally via aerobic respiration as they have a constant supply of oxygen from the air. Anaerobic respiration is more common in mobile organisms like humans. But you are correct, it always involves the breakdown of glucose to release energy for cells.
Thanks! So when they say "plants respire", they go through aerobic/anaerobic respiration? So they breakdown glucose molecules to give energy to their cells or something like that?
liaente
Rep:
?
Thanks for clearing that up!
(Original post by Iksu_51)
When plants respire its normally via aerobic respiration as they have a constant supply of oxygen from the air. Anaerobic respiration is more common in mobile organisms like humans. But you are correct, it always involves the breakdown of glucose to release energy for cells.
Iksu_51
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No problem x Good Luck for the exam!!
Thanks for clearing that up!
searching123job
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Respiration is breathing with lungs to take up oxygen from atmosphere and release carbon dioxide

Like exchanging gases basically
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.38%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (66)
9.76%
No I am happy with my course choice (383)
56.66%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (96)
14.2%

Watched Threads