liaente
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
If anyone cares please hear me out, it's kind of a long rant (?) but I need someone's advice, any advice. So...it's a Tuesday, very much so nearing a Wednesday and I'm here stressing for my next 14 exams. I am trying my best to go through all of the subjects which I have; Physics, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, English Lang, History & German.

The problem is, this is what I have accomplished so far:
Sunday: Organic Chemistry (chapter 7 in Chemistry)
Monday: Homeostasis (chapter 5 in Biology)
Tuesday: Use of resources (chapter 10 in Chemistry) and a little bit of Biology chapter 6,7,8.

Now here's the conundrum: I can't be wasting my time doing one topic at a time. I have no bloody idea where the time is flying! You know what my unsurprisingly "in vain" idea was originally? I thought I'd be able to do 3 topics a day. Ha! Talk about disappointed hindsight.

But then again I can't be rushing through it or doing bits and chunks of it either because it'll mess my brain up. I still haven't even started History, and that's like a hell of content. But then I look through Physics and I want to gag, why put so much content in one bloody topic like Forces and Waves?!

I have no idea what to do. I did what other people told me, I tried the Pomodoro technique - and it did help but I'm still stuck. I am doing exam questions, but all in all...I'm getting so, so bored? Like I'm just looking at this stuff and I PHYSICALLY want to throw up? It's a weird, uncomfortable feeling. It's like my brain is trying to repel itself from the work.

Which is not good.

Ah, my brain is frying - any help???
Skycloud
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would start with doing a practice test for each of these exams, like a real exam. Get he make scheme and notice the trends on where u went wrong. Use these also to identify the gaps in your knowledge. Due to ur short time frame I would suggest devoting a day to each subject working through these topics and familiarising yourself with them.

Don’t forget to take breaks tho.
liaente
Rep:
?
Thank you. Would you first recommend reading the entire content? (Which takes so much time...) The thing is...I haven't touched it in more than a month due to me being busy for my previous exams. Or do you recommend just jumping right in?
(Original post by Skycloud)
I would start with doing a practice test for each of these exams, like a real exam. Get he make scheme and notice the trends on where u went wrong. Use these also to identify the gaps in your knowledge. Due to ur short time frame I would suggest devoting a day to each subject working through these topics and familiarising yourself with them.

Don’t forget to take breaks tho.
Skycloud
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Jump right in. See what u know at your worst point, it can only get better form then. After this your going to want to learn facts and be tested on them for subjects such as science, get ur family involved and stick post notes all round the house. Whereas English you need to keep practising and watching mr Bruce videos to learn tips

Feel free to message me if u have any more questions
liaente
Rep:
?
Bless your heart, thank you for helping me out
(Original post by Skycloud)
Jump right in. See what u know at your worst point, it can only get better form then. After this your going to want to learn facts and be tested on them for subjects such as science, get ur family involved and stick post notes all round the house. Whereas English you need to keep practising and watching mr Bruce videos to learn tips

Feel free to message me if u have any more questions
Skycloud
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by liaente)
Bless your heart, thank you for helping me out
No problem ☺️ happy to help
sqrt of 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by liaente)
If anyone cares please hear me out, it's kind of a long rant (?) but I need someone's advice, any advice. So...it's a Tuesday, very much so nearing a Wednesday and I'm here stressing for my next 14 exams. I am trying my best to go through all of the subjects which I have; Physics, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, English Lang, History & German.

The problem is, this is what I have accomplished so far:
Sunday: Organic Chemistry (chapter 7 in Chemistry)
Monday: Homeostasis (chapter 5 in Biology)
Tuesday: Use of resources (chapter 10 in Chemistry) and a little bit of Biology chapter 6,7,8.

Now here's the conundrum: I can't be wasting my time doing one topic at a time. I have no bloody idea where the time is flying! You know what my unsurprisingly "in vain" idea was originally? I thought I'd be able to do 3 topics a day. Ha! Talk about disappointed hindsight.

But then again I can't be rushing through it or doing bits and chunks of it either because it'll mess my brain up. I still haven't even started History, and that's like a hell of content. But then I look through Physics and I want to gag, why put so much content in one bloody topic like Forces and Waves?!

I have no idea what to do. I did what other people told me, I tried the Pomodoro technique - and it did help but I'm still stuck. I am doing exam questions, but all in all...I'm getting so, so bored? Like I'm just looking at this stuff and I PHYSICALLY want to throw up? It's a weird, uncomfortable feeling. It's like my brain is trying to repel itself from the work.

Which is not good.

Ah, my brain is frying - any help???
hey!

at this point, going through everything on the spec is a waste of time. first of all, some of the content came up last year so i usually skip the topic that came up last year if:
a) they asked a whole question (e.g. 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 etc)
b) if i know what's the topic is about (e.g. if i know most of the things from b10 i would just do some practice questions or test myself using seneca)
however, if they just asked a tick a box question or a 1-2 mark question on a specific topic (e.g. homeostasis) and im not super confident with it, i would go through it just to make sure i know everything. then i'd do practice questions to see if i understand the topic.
ThunderBeard
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Read summary notes on the topic online. It’s quicker and reasonably detailed. Afterwards practise questions.
liaente
Rep:
?
Thanks so much! It lifts my heart to hear this - I think I'd be able to do this!
(Original post by sqrt of 5)
hey!

at this point, going through everything on the spec is a waste of time. first of all, some of the content came up last year so i usually skip the topic that came up last year if:
a) they asked a whole question (e.g. 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 etc)
b) if i know what's the topic is about (e.g. if i know most of the things from b10 i would just do some practice questions or test myself using seneca)
however, if they just asked a tick a box question or a 1-2 mark question on a specific topic (e.g. homeostasis) and im not super confident with it, i would go through it just to make sure i know everything. then i'd do practice questions to see if i understand the topic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
6.47%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (32)
15.92%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (33)
16.42%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (30)
14.93%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (55)
27.36%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (38)
18.91%

Watched Threads