JacobBob
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Are the receptors that the neurotransmitters bind to the same channel proteins that open ?
I mean, in an excitatory synapse for example, do the neurotransmitters bind to Na+ channel proteins causing them to open ?
Bluejewel01
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Neurotransmitter binds to complemantary receptors on Na+ channels which causes them to open and Na+ ions to diffuse into post synaptic neurone and this causes a new action potential to be generated in the post synaptic membrane.
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
There are two main types of receptors: in the ionotropic receptors, what Bluejewel01 says above happens. The metabotropic ones when stimulated, being linked to G proteins, result in the activation of alpha and beta-gamma subunits, which produce a response via second messengers. Ionotropic receptors mediate responses that are much faster than those mediated by metabotropic receptors. So the answer to OP's Q is Yes for the first ones (ionotropic).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (15)
15.63%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (25)
26.04%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (52)
54.17%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
4.17%

Watched Threads