zakaz2
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hey, I would really appreciate any help.

My question is whether when there is an offence committed and in result of this offence V develops a mental condition (e.g. depression) and decides to harm himself, is the chain of causation broken or not?
Bitesizelaw
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I'm not an expert on tort, but I guess that you need to look at the law relating to remoteness of damage? The test was in The Wagon Mound when I studied tort, but that was a very, very long time ago.

Follow the Forum posting advice and you might get a better discussion from other students who are much more qualified than me in this area!
(Original post by zakaz2)

My question is whether when there is an offence committed and in result of this offence V develops a mental condition (e.g. depression) and decides to harm himself, is the chain of causation broken or not?
Last edited by Bitesizelaw; 10 months ago
RV3112
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago

You need to provide a bit of background regarding this, as the question is a little too vague.

Presumably you are referring to Criminal law, so see R v. Dear (operating and substantial cause test)and R v. Roberts (was the victim's behaviour foreseeable), among many others.

On the off chance, you are referring to causation in Tort, something like Corr v. IBC Vehicles is a good starting point.
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Is this a criminal or tort question?
Chain of causation is treated differently in both.
ath_
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I would say broken - certainly for criminal law purposes and almost certainly for tort.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (110)
28.21%
No (280)
71.79%

Watched Threads