Media studies GCSE AQA 9-1 Watch

StudyCat
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
How do I structure an analytical paragraph for media??
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Elizabeth2345
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Does anyone know structure for the 20 mark answers
charlieyee
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Elizabeth2345)
Does anyone know structure for the 20 mark answers
Answer the question first with your opinion

Then write why in the following paragraphs. e.g theories, media language, context, reception, aims, audience etc

The conclude

I would say in terms of length I would say open opening and concluding paragraph and then maybe 6/8 + paragraphs.

This is what I would do xx
charlieyee
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by StudyCat)
How do I structure an analytical paragraph for media??

Then write why in the following paragraphs. e.g theories, media language, context, reception, aims, audience etc

The conclude

I would say in terms of length I would say open opening and concluding paragraph and then maybe 6/8 + paragraphs.

Also I am not 100% myself but this is what I would do xx
StudyCat
Rep:
?
(Original post by charlieyee)

The conclude

Do you know all the theories?
charlieyee
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

The conclude

This is what I would do but I am not 100% sure
charlieyee
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you know all the theories?
Depends on the text and what the study areas are but you have

reception theory- how audiences consume texts- active or passive- active responds to a text, either perceives it in a different way to producers or does something after text, e.g talks about it, passive just consumes and that is it.

readings- How audiences like a text- preferred, negotiated and oppositional

Uses and gratifications- personal identification, surveillance, escapism/entertainment and social interaction- how audiences use a text

Propps character functions- hero, villain, dispatcher- all characters will have some kind of role

binary opposition- Happy vs sad, pretty vs ugly

Toddrov's narrative theory- how a text runs. like begging, middle and end- equilibrium, disruption, new equilibrium

Rubicans 4 cs-catergorise audience e.g strugglers, aspirers, succeeders ect and this can be use to how an audience responds to a text

hypodermic syringe theory- Media is a plug in drug and can be harmful

Barthes Action and Enigma codes- Certain things texts may do to create action or mystery

Barthes semotic theory- denotation+connotation
StudyCat
Rep:
?

The conclude

Thanks for the theories, as well as this could you give a few examples of media language, reception and aims?? Thanks so much )
charlieyee
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for the theories, as well as this could you give a few examples of media language, reception and aims?? Thanks so much )
Media language is basically everything that goes into a text- such a props, camera angles, lighting, mis-en-sence ( the background), costume, make up ect

reception- An example would be Zoella- what are peoples opinions about her ( link this to readings) is she approved by parents? I Daniel Blake could be awards won, newspaper reviews.

Aims- like what has the text set out to do, e.g I, Daniel Blake sets out to generate awareness of how the government treats people who need benefits. Dr strange aims to make a lot of money, Galaxy aims to make people want Galaxy

That's alright. glad I can help, I feel your struggle!

How are you feeling about the CSPs?

Dreading Monday!

Good luck xoxo
Elizabeth2345
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Does anyone know which theories link to the one direction/Arctic Monkey music videos and Tatler/Reveal
username4690370
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi everyone- I am in year 9 and have picked Media studies for GCSE ( don't mean to derail this thread) but what is the GCSE like- is it hard- do u enjouy it etc?
charlieyee
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Does anyone know which theories link to the one direction/Arctic Monkey music videos and Tatler/Reveal
Tatler and reveal

Propp- Georgina bevan as the hero/ dispathor of the new posh( princess) Sloanes villain ect - Katie Villain, Cheryl hero
Todrov- current posh- the new posh introduced, reader finds out about the new posh, Lauren single, then meets guy in jail, now telling us
binary opposition- sloanes vs new posh, Michelle and mark relationship vs Lauren's relationship
Male gaze- seeing women in a sexualised way- clothes fell off- Reveal- Lauren taking about sex life
Barthes engima codes- what is the new posh, secret meetings between Katie and Pete

One direction/ Arctic Monkeys

Uses and Gratifications

remember it as pies
P-personal identification-Arctic Monkeys have casual costume and music references whihc the fans will be like they are like me. 1D looking back on memories audience may be able reomise on those times as well as them
I- information/Surveillance- History- helps fans to find out 1D's current status- e.g break up, Arctic monekys online presence helps fans keep up to date with the band

Readings- oppistional, negotiated and preferred applies to both texts

Hope this helps xx
E-escapism/entertainment - To listen to music and watch the music video (both)
S-social interaction- being in a community of a fandom and bonding with other members of that fandom ( both)
charlieyee
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

I personally picked it up this year ( I am on a one year GCSE course) and it is intense but I love it. With two or Three years you will be an expert!

Some of it is a bit can go on a bit but overall I find learning about the theories, contexts and how texts are constructed really interesting. I am taking it next year for A-level over Drama( my fav subject in school).

It isn't an easy 9 like people say, it is hard work but really worth it.

Plus the coursework is fun !

hope that is helpful xoxo
(Original post by Ivanita-Ariana)
Hi everyone- I am in year 9 and have picked Media studies for GCSE ( don't mean to derail this thread) but what is the GCSE like- is it hard- do u enjouy it etc?
StudyCat
Rep:
?

reception theory- how audiences consume texts- active or passive- active responds to a text, either perceives it in a different way to producers or does something after text, e.g talks about it, passive just consumes and that is it.

Uses and gratifications- personal identification, surveillance, escapism/entertainment and social interaction- how audiences use a text

Propps character functions- hero, villain, dispatcher- all characters will have some kind of role

Toddrov's narrative theory- how a text runs. like begging, middle and end- equilibrium, disruption, new equilibrium

Rubicans 4 cs-catergorise audience e.g strugglers, aspirers, succeeders ect and this can be use to how an audience responds to a text

Barthes Action and Enigma codes- Certain things texts may do to create action or mystery

I

Isn’t there 21 theories in total? X
charlieyee
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I

Isn’t there 21 theories in total? X
TBH I haven't counted but there are a lot LOL!

But not all the theories are going to apply to every single text, plus I was writing that from the top of my head as my notes were in the other room xx lol
Elizabeth2345
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Tatler and reveal

Propp- Georgina bevan as the hero/ dispathor of the new posh( princess) Sloanes villain ect - Katie Villain, Cheryl hero
Todrov- current posh- the new posh introduced, reader finds out about the new posh, Lauren single, then meets guy in jail, now telling us
binary opposition- sloanes vs new posh, Michelle and mark relationship vs Lauren's relationship
Male gaze- seeing women in a sexualised way- clothes fell off- Reveal- Lauren taking about sex life
Barthes engima codes- what is the new posh, secret meetings between Katie and Pete

One direction/ Arctic Monkeys

Uses and Gratifications

remember it as pies
P-personal identification-Arctic Monkeys have casual costume and music references whihc the fans will be like they are like me. 1D looking back on memories audience may be able reomise on those times as well as them
I- information/Surveillance- History- helps fans to find out 1D's current status- e.g break up, Arctic monekys online presence helps fans keep up to date with the band

Readings- oppistional, negotiated and preferred applies to both texts

Hope this helps xx
E-escapism/entertainment - To listen to music and watch the music video (both)
S-social interaction- being in a community of a fandom and bonding with other members of that fandom ( both)
Thank you so much... Good luck!
username4690370
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks
Hi,

I personally picked it up this year ( I am on a one year GCSE course) and it is intense but I love it. With two or Three years you will be an expert!

Some of it is a bit can go on a bit but overall I find learning about the theories, contexts and how texts are constructed really interesting. I am taking it next year for A-level over Drama( my fav subject in school).

It isn't an easy 9 like people say, it is hard work but really worth it.

Plus the coursework is fun !

hope that is helpful xoxo
charlieyee
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you so much... Good luck!
No worries hun, you too xx
Elizabeth2345
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hi does anyone know how to link theories into Radio one and Apple Beats
charlieyee
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hi does anyone know how to link theories into Radio one and Apple Beats
Readings-

oppistional- Doesn't like the music played or the DJ - therefore will listen to another product.

negotiated- in the case of radio 1 could mean questioning the difference between his pirate radio presenting and radio 1 presenting or the lack of popular music or something to do with the music also the lack of diverse representation . Apple Beats 1 would be I like Julie but not the music or vise versa, Tbh this would be the reading of a more casual listener who will listen to it if it is on or because it is the only option

preferred- Likes all the music played and the presenters- no questions are asked such as representation or content in the case of radio 1. Apple beats radio reading might be focused on representation and genre specific music but positively, wow a black woman or I love the hip hop music played on here it isn't too mainstream.

Uses and gratifications-

Personal identification- DJ's interests and image/personas
Information/surveillance - Music updates e.g charts or new music
Escapism/entertainment - listening to music, plus commentary
Social interaction - writing/texting/tweeting in ect

The higerarchy of needs ( self actualization/self-esteem) as you can identify/ see positive traits in the presenters- more Apple beats one as has more vaiered representation but still could apply to radio 1- I wouldn't worry about this one too much unless it is a 20 marker as there is plenty to say on audiences and industry.

post modernism- Beats radio 1 ( the actual act of listening to radio online is post modern) This has a lot to do with Julie as she has a post modern image- mixing gender norms such as her more feminine language such as fleek/cute but her gender non conforming costume and short hair. The music as this is more vaired such as your Ed's and Gagas but also your up and coming artists.

Hope this helps xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (158)
17.73%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (77)
8.64%
No I am happy with my course choice (529)
59.37%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.25%

Watched Threads