Allergic to work

Watch
CallumMarch34
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm going to start this post off by first of all saying that I understand and know that there's many people that don't like working, I know.... I know it's a way of life and it's something that has to be done but when you fully hate work, regardless of what job you have, what on earth do you do?

I've worked from being a cashier to working in charities doing street collections to working as a Librarian and after a short while the job beings to seriously bore and depress me. I've tried working full time, part time and it still gives me that horrible depressed feeling after a while. I really have given it a go and it really isn't for me.

When I say hate I mean really, really hate, I have work in half an hour and I'm seriously dreading it, it's making me feel sick. At the moment I only work 4 hours twice a week and even that's too much for me... An hour and a half in into my shift and I'm feeling awful, I'm feeling that clocking off time will never come.

For a long while I assumed I was just a really lazy person but I know that isn't the case now, for the past two months I've been training like a boxer, some days I'll do hard workouts 4-5 hours a day so if I can do that it means I'm not lazy... It's just work is so ugh.

To why I'm training like a boxer is because although I know it's a long shot I've decided to make fighting a career for me as obviously a normal job won't ever be for me, boxing feels like my only hope.

However, training costs money. I really feel like I can't talk about this problem to my family or anyone even, nobody would understand they will just think that I'm being lazy and over dramatic and won't know how bad it actually is for me. The past two years I've had spinal problems and wasn't able to walk and was in a lot of pain, this meant that I was declared as unfit for work, this tells you all how much I hate work... I was actually feeling blessed, I was hoping that my surgery would go wrong and as a result never have to work again :/

I just don't know what to do. I am aware that you can go to the doctors and declare yourself as depressed but it's a matter of them believing you or not, I really can't be bothered for them to tell me that everything will be fine. I really don't know what to do.

This may sound overly dramatic but if I'm unable to become a boxer or do something that's different from your usual job I'm unsure if I even want to be alive. I have a job at the moment, working in a Library, I'm lying to my family all the time telling them that I enjoy it just to keep them happy.
Last edited by CallumMarch34; 1 year ago
Skycloud
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Everyone has to work
CallumMarch34
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Skycloud)
Everyone has to work
Oh gee thanks for your very helpful response.
Skycloud
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CallumMarch34)
Oh gee thanks for your very helpful response.
Glad I can be of assistance
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm going to start this post off by first of all saying that I understand and know that there's many people that don't like working, I know.... I know it's a way of life and it's something that has to be done but when you fully hate work, regardless of what job you have, what on earth do you do?

I've worked from being a cashier to working in charities doing street collections to working as a Librarian and after a short while the job beings to seriously bore and depress me. I've tried working full time, part time and it still gives me that horrible depressed feeling after a while. I really have given it a go and it really isn't for me.

When I say hate I mean really, really hate, I have work in half an hour and I'm seriously dreading it, it's making me feel sick. At the moment I only work 4 hours twice a week and even that's too much for me... An hour and a half in into my shift and I'm feeling awful, I'm feeling that clocking off time will never come.

For a long while I assumed I was just a really lazy person but I know that isn't the case now, for the past two months I've been training like a boxer, some days I'll do hard workouts 4-5 hours a day so if I can do that it means I'm not lazy... It's just work is so ugh.

To why I'm training like a boxer is because although I know it's a long shot I've decided to make fighting a career for me as obviously a normal job won't ever be for me, boxing feels like my only hope.

However, training costs money. I really feel like I can't talk about this problem to my family or anyone even, nobody would understand they will just think that I'm being lazy and over dramatic and won't know how bad it actually is for me. The past two years I've had spinal problems and wasn't able to walk and was in a lot of pain, this meant that I was declared as unfit for work, this tells you all how much I hate work... I was actually feeling blessed, I was hoping that my surgery would go wrong and as a result never have to work again :/

I just don't know what to do. I am aware that you can go to the doctors and declare yourself as depressed but it's a matter of them believing you or not, I really can't be bothered for them to tell me that everything will be fine. I really don't know what to do.

This may sound overly dramatic but if I'm unable to become a boxer or do something that's different from your usual job I'm unsure if I even want to be alive. I have a job at the moment, working in a Library, I'm lying to my family all the time telling them that I enjoy it just to keep them happy.
Sad reality of life - unless you want to spend the rest of your life on benefits - you need to work. And only the workshy and seriously lazy want to live on benefits.

Sounds to me like you are doing rather menial jobs and your life has little direction. I was like that many years ago - I worked in Asda for a year until I was so depressed, I had to make changes.

You also need to make changes. I seriously don't think you have much chance as a boxer - not too many opportunities to do such a brutal sport - but it does sound like the endorphins you get from doing boxing make you feel energised so...

why not train to become a fitness instructor - thinking boxercise in particular - I love doing that and it would give you a bit of direction. Or go back to college and get more exams.

I wouldn't go down the route of antidepressants yet - they mask a problem but don't solve it. ( And believe me I know - I was on them)

You maybe need to move away from your family. Get a holiday job overseas, travel a bit - get fresh perspective on life.
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Okay right now you are in a crappy situation. You can't stay in that situation cos it's going to make you miserable so you need to find a way to change things. There are some things that are out of your control so you need to focus on what you can change. Think about what the problems/ factors are then think about which you can and can't change and which will be easiest or most influential.
I'll give a bit of a run down of how I see things, but this is your own situation and you're going to need to think about it yourself. None of us can tell you what to do because what makes most sense to us might not be the right fit for you. It might help to talk this through with somebody like a counsellor and it's important to remember that this is all a long term thing. Just like with boxing training nothing is going to happen overnight. Even if you have a perfect plan it's still going to involve slow progress like when you're training muscles or learning to do new moves.

Your main problem is... you're unhappy
That can be broken down into a few things and the ones I've noticed are... you don't like work, your mental health isn't great, you want to spend more time on boxing
Some things might help change your situation... not working, getting a job that suits you better, improving your mental health etc
Some of those aren't an option... you need money so you need to work
Some might be an option... you could think of jobs that will be less dull for you, you can talk to a doctor about your mental health and try to improve it
One of those might feel like a good place to start and you might be able to work on multiple things at once... You could go see your GP and ask for some resources and about counselling. While you wait for your appointment you could start looking for or thinking about other types of jobs and if they would feel less dull.

One thing that I think could be great for you long term is finding a job that's a better fit for you. It sounds like you are interested in sport and exercise so you could see if there are any jobs relating to that. It might be that to do that you need some other qualifications or experience so you might consider going to college or getting an apprenticeship.
You might find that a job where you aren't dealing with people is better for you. If you get a job as a cleaner or similar you might be able to listen to podcasts and music as you work. I bet there are some about boxing that could help you train.
If you have any other interests you could look into jobs relating to that. I hit a wall at uni when I realised I hated my course. I didn't know what I wanted to do and was kinda dreading life, but then I realised I always loved volunteering at youth groups so changed my course to childcare.

You do have a lot of options, but one option you don't have is not working. It sucks I know, but almost everybody has to work and trust me when I say not being able to work has it's own issues. Benefits do not cover a lot and you would find yourself limited. A lot of people seriously hate working, but they just have to focus on what it gets them. In your case it seems that work would be a way to fund boxing.

I hope that helps a bit. Like I said this is your life so you need to find what works for you. All the stuff I said up there is just an example of how you could think about things so dson't worry if it doesn't sound good for you. You can find the right fit for yourself and your life.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (144)
14.36%
I'm not sure (42)
4.19%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (302)
30.11%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.59%
I'm not a current university student (489)
48.75%

Watched Threads