[Exam Cram] Ask AQA any questions about your A-level Psychology exams Watch

Evil Homer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
It's Exam Cram 2019!

This half term we have an amazing offer for you all currently working through your exam season. Ask your exam board the questions you need to make that final push through your revision. That's right, this half term we are offering you the chance to talk to your exam board and get the help you need this half term on TSR. This thread is for the 29th of May 2019 or in other words........

Psychology day

Post below your questions and AQA will reply! Ask about specific issues you are having with your revision, topics that you are struggling with or anything about the exams and the exam format themselves! Unfortunately there are some rules so we can make this thread work for everyone

1. No asking what is in the up and coming exam, the exam board won't answer no matter how desperate you are!
  2. No asking for low boundaries! This isn't up to how the examiners are feeling on that day. Questions around grade boundaries are fine though
  3. Keep it civil !

You can start getting your questions in now and AQA will be come through and answer them Good luck for the rest of your exams guys!
Nibblet27
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi AQA

How do you end up working as an examiner? What did you used to do before working for AQA?
AQA Exam Board
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Nibblet27)
Hi AQA

How do you end up working as an examiner? What did you used to do before working for AQA?
Examiners are normally active teachers or those who have recently retired. They have to meet certain criteria to be able to examine and details are available on our website https://www.aqa.org.uk/about-us/beco...r-or-moderator.

I used to be a Head of Psychology at a school and a senior examiner for AQA before becoming Head of Curriculum for Psychology. I have also worked as a lecturer at a university before teaching at a sixth form college and then a couple of schools.
Student17101
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Are there any resources to help with mathematical skills for the research method section such as; questions that you know of?
angel.xo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Why do you put RM in all 3 papers? Paper 2 is already double RM so we are already tested on it a lot yet you choose to put rm in paper 1 and 3? Theres already so much to learn yet only a few marks of a 10 subtopic chapter could come up
It feels like you are only testing us on RM and its all down to luck.
Wright0110
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Any tips for getting full marks on a 16 mark question?

Also, if a comparison approaches question came up what types of things would you compare? And would you need to evaluate the differences/similarities if so how?
HashimA
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Can synoptic questions come up on paper 2, like they do on paper 1? (GCSE AQA Psychology)
studyr
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Is doing 3 detailed evaluation points for a 16 mark question enough?
AQA Exam Board
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by angel.xo)
Why do you put RM in all 3 papers? Paper 2 is already double RM so we are already tested on it a lot yet you choose to put rm in paper 1 and 3? Theres already so much to learn yet only a few marks of a 10 subtopic chapter could come up
It feels like you are only testing us on RM and its all down to luck.
Good question, which I am very happy to answer. The Department of Education requires that we have 25-30% of our questions covering research methods. As the dedicated section only contains 48 marks we have to make up the remainder of the marks across the other two papers. This is the same requirement for all exam boards, so it is unavoidable. On the positive, if you know RM really well then you can gain quite a few marks across all the papers. It is also good knowledge to have if you are thinking of going on to university and not just if you are thinking of studying Psychology.

I know that RM can be quite dull and boring at times (that is what I thought as a student ) but it is really useful knowledge to have and is the backbone of the subject.

Good luck with your exams and thanks for posting.
angel.xo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by AQA Exam Board)
Good question, which I am very happy to answer. The Department of Education requires that we have 25-30% of our questions covering research methods. As the dedicated section only contains 48 marks we have to make up the remainder of the marks across the other two papers. This is the same requirement for all exam boards, so it is unavoidable. On the positive, if you know RM really well then you can gain quite a few marks across all the papers. It is also good knowledge to have if you are thinking of going on to university and not just if you are thinking of studying Psychology.

I know that RM can be quite dull and boring at times (that is what I thought as a student ) but it is really useful knowledge to have and is the backbone of the subject.

Good luck with your exams and thanks for posting.
I don't find RM stimulating at all. I feel it hasn't taught me anything because a lot of it is common sense. I've learnt a lot from paper 1 and paper 3 which is nice. thanks for replying
zay12
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
how are the grade boundries lookin??
AQA Exam Board
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Wright0110)
Any tips for getting full marks on a 16 mark question?

Also, if a comparison approaches question came up what types of things would you compare? And would you need to evaluate the differences/similarities if so how?
You need to make sure that you expand on each evaluation point that you are making, ensuring that it is clear to your examiner the implication of the point you are making – so why is it a strength or a weakness? Why is it important in the context of the question? This is really important as many students tend to just say what the strength is and do not link it back to the question and as an examiner you can’t just assume you know what the student is trying to say. With your description, use as much relevant and accurate terminology as possible.

In a comparison question you can compare on a number of different facets. You could look at where the two approaches fall in terms of the debates (nature vs nurture; free will vs determinism; reductionism vs holism) or approaches to treatments (e.g., phobias, depression etc) and use of the scientific methods. If you want to look at a past paper where a question has been asked, go to https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/psyc...ment-resources and look for A-level Paper 2, 2018, Q4. No, you do not need to evaluate the similarities and differences.

I hope that helps. Best of luck for your exam!
AQA Exam Board
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by HashimA)
Can synoptic questions come up on paper 2, like they do on paper 1? (GCSE AQA Psychology)
Yes, synoptic questions can come up on paper 2 (GCSE).

Best of luck for your exam.
AQA Exam Board
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by studyr)
Is doing 3 detailed evaluation points for a 16 mark question enough?
It is all about the quality of each evaluation point and making sure that it is as specific and relevant to the question as possible. Make sure you use words from the question and accurate terminology. Examiners need to see that you have explicitly referred back to the question so that they can see the importance of the point you are trying to make. Explaining each point well is very important. If you do this then three evaluation points can be sufficient.
AQA Exam Board
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Student17101)
Are there any resources to help with mathematical skills for the research method section such as; questions that you know of?
If you look at the two sets of specimen papers plus all the AS and A-level papers you should have enough questions to practise your maths skills - here is the link: https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/psyc...ment-resources

Good luck for your exams and thank you for your question.
Phoebe Jones
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
any advice on how to learn all the complex a2 biopsychology stuff?
will you get marked down for writing SCN rather than suprachiasmatic neuron?
AQA Exam Board
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by zay12)
how are the grade boundries lookin??
We do not set the grade boundaries until the papers are all marked - see https://www.aqa.org.uk/about-us/what...de-to-awarding

Good luck!
idontkn
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Evil Homer)
It's Exam Cram 2019!

This half term we have an amazing offer for you all currently working through your exam season. Ask your exam board the questions you need to make that final push through your revision. That's right, this half term we are offering you the chance to talk to your exam board and get the help you need this half term on TSR. This thread is for the 29th of May 2019 or in other words........

Psychology day

Post below your questions and AQA will reply! Ask about specific issues you are having with your revision, topics that you are struggling with or anything about the exams and the exam format themselves! Unfortunately there are some rules so we can make this thread work for everyone

1. No asking what is in the up and coming exam, the exam board won't answer no matter how desperate you are!
  2. No asking for low boundaries! This isn't up to how the examiners are feeling on that day. Questions around grade boundaries are fine though
  3. Keep it civil !

You can start getting your questions in now and AQA will be come through and answer them Good luck for the rest of your exams guys!
Can you make one for sociology
studyr
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Is there any chance of getting off spec questions in biopsychology like last year?
gluttonyyy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I feel like the exams are all down to our memory, if we don't remember well then we don't do as well on the exam day. Some people are at an advantage as their memory might be better than others. Its like theres one chance, and its all dependant on our memory, if that performs well then great, if not then we've lost that chance. What do you think of this? Also, coming from the topic of memory, what would you suggest to help memorise so much content, so many different evaluation points?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (53)
24.09%
My career doesn't need one (30)
13.64%