The Student Room Group

[Exam Cram] Ask AQA any questions about your A-level Psychology exams

Scroll to see replies

Can features of science come up outside Paper 2 research methods. Also if it comes up in research method section, can it come as a 16 marker?
(edited 4 years ago)
The RM section is so specific, for instance when it says ‘in this study’, I find it hard to relate to the study. For example, say I give a right answer, but it doesn’t relate to the study and isn’t in the mark scheme, how do I know what AQA are looking for, and the mark schemes change year to year, once a specific type of answer is correct, another year that answer is incorrect.
Original post by Serbian_2000
The RM section is so specific, for instance when it says ‘in this study’, I find it hard to relate to the study. For example, say I give a right answer, but it doesn’t relate to the study and isn’t in the mark scheme, how do I know what AQA are looking for, and the mark schemes change year to year, once a specific type of answer is correct, another year that answer is incorrect.

i dont think that is the case.
for example the definition and how to carry out matched pairs design is same year on year. You just have to say in relation to the study, and there's loads of things u can say, as long as it sounds valid it will probably be correct.

if u are having an experiment doing a spacial task then the design you could say matching on intelligence (IQ) or age or gender or many variables as long as it looks good, and its not already the IV. if you said match on eye color then obviously that's not gonna be very good.
How is it determined which content is to be examined, and the method is chosen to asses the topic (i.e. 16 markers or a tick box)?
😂😂😂 Are you a student? Can u Peer review my answers for RMs ;(
Original post by Afterlife?
i dont think that is the case.
for example the definition and how to carry out matched pairs design is same year on year. You just have to say in relation to the study, and there's loads of things u can say, as long as it sounds valid it will probably be correct.

if u are having an experiment doing a spacial task then the design you could say matching on intelligence (IQ) or age or gender or many variables as long as it looks good, and its not already the IV. if you said match on eye color then obviously that's not gonna be very good.
Original post by Serbian_2000
😂😂😂 Are you a student? Can u Peer review my answers for RMs ;(

yea I'm a student but I would be more than happy to look at your answers for RM because it benefits me too
For the comparison question what do you evaluate then?
Original post by AQA Exam Board
You need to make sure that you expand on each evaluation point that you are making, ensuring that it is clear to your examiner the implication of the point you are making so why is it a strength or a weakness? Why is it important in the context of the question? This is really important as many students tend to just say what the strength is and do not link it back to the question and as an examiner you can’t just assume you know what the student is trying to say. With your description, use as much relevant and accurate terminology as possible.

In a comparison question you can compare on a number of different facets. You could look at where the two approaches fall in terms of the debates (nature vs nurture; free will vs determinism; reductionism vs holism) or approaches to treatments (e.g., phobias, depression etc) and use of the scientific methods. If you want to look at a past paper where a question has been asked, go to https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/psychology/as-and-a-level/psychology-7181-7182/assessment-resources and look for A-level Paper 2, 2018, Q4. No, you do not need to evaluate the similarities and differences.

I hope that helps. Best of luck for your exam!
I’ll send you some over to compare. Do you have snapchat or instagram by any chance? Sending images and stuff here is a nightmare 🙁
Original post by Afterlife?
yea I'm a student but I would be more than happy to look at your answers for RM because it benefits me too
How important is it naming studies while evaluating? And do the dates of the studies matter as much as the names?
Is it possible to get a 16 marker comparing the SLT with behaviourism even through they're both part of the learning approach?
Is there an easy way to remember so much evaluation as I'm struggling to remember so much!
Original post by Phoebe Jones
any advice on how to learn all the complex a2 biopsychology stuff?
will you get marked down for writing SCN rather than suprachiasmatic neuron?

SCN is a pretty well known abbreviation and in the context of the question your examiner would be able to understand this is what you mean. Sometimes to be sure it is worth writing it in full first followed by the abbreviation in brackets and then from then on you can use that abbreviation. It is best to only stick to this method when the abbreviation is justified and well known.

As for revising the biopsychology information, if you can make up a funny mnemonic for some of the important factual information that can help. Make sure you focus on the terminology as that is crucial in this section. I think completing past papers can be helpful to keep testing your knowledge as the mark schemes for biopsych are pretty detailed and you can then update your notes/answers accordingly.

Best of luck and keep going with the revision - not long now until the exams will be all over! (the weather isn't great so you may as well revise!)
Original post by studyr
Is there any chance of getting off spec questions in biopsychology like last year?

Which question are you referring to? There were no questions that I am aware of that were not covered by the specification. Happy to help if you can give me the question number - thanks.
Original post by Lilyfuturemedic
How is it determined which content is to be examined, and the method is chosen to asses the topic (i.e. 16 markers or a tick box)?

We will consider what has already been on the specimen papers and the actual live papers but that does not stop us from asking a similar question from the same topic area. So one year we could ask a question that is focused on knowledge only (AO1) but we could then decide to provide a scenario and get students to apply their knowledge of that area or ask them an evaluate question. We have to ensure that we have a certain percentage of AO1, AO2 and AO3 across the papers (this information can be found in the specification on our website), so this will also have an influence on what we can include. We will also think about the amount of knowledge available in the main text books to know whether it would be fair to ask an extended question on that area. Multiple choice questions can only be asked when there is a 'correct' answer and they are often the hardest questions to write as you need to have plausible other answers but you don't want to trick students either. It is a difficult process and we work really hard to be fair to students.
Original post by SoftGingerCat
How important is it naming studies while evaluating? And do the dates of the studies matter as much as the names?

It is much, much, much more important to remember what they did in the study and what they found, making sure you link this back to the question (if needed) than it is to remember the names. Examiners are very likely to know the studies you are referring to and if they do not they will look them up or ask someone more senior to check. We do not take marks away for not remembering the names. The dates don't normally matter unless you are making a point about the time in which the study was conducted (e.g., temporal validity).
Original post by jasmin001
For the comparison question what do you evaluate then?

Your comparisons count as the AO3 marks, so evaluation in the normal sense does not apply.

I hope that helps and reassures you.
Original post by justarosexo
I feel like the exams are all down to our memory, if we don't remember well then we don't do as well on the exam day. Some people are at an advantage as their memory might be better than others. Its like theres one chance, and its all dependant on our memory, if that performs well then great, if not then we've lost that chance. What do you think of this? Also, coming from the topic of memory, what would you suggest to help memorise so much content, so many different evaluation points?

I think that examinations are always going to be about memorising information. It is the same with interviews or even conversations when we are trying to win an argument or get our points across, we have to remember facts, evidence and examples to be successful. These are also 'one off' situations with the pressure to get it right. I totally understand how stressful that is for students though and I do genuinely sympathise. I used to be a teacher and found it really difficult to watch my students get stressed.

In terms of techniques, I think anything 'active' you can do is best and the research supports this. So if you can rewrite your notes into meaningful chunks using different colours, pictures etc that helps. Try answering questions in timed conditions and then marking them (or work with another psychology student and swop papers to mark them). Talk to friends about the topics and test each other as hearing can be more effective than seeing. Record your notes onto phone and then play it back when you are doing a mindless task (the washing up - this will make your parents happy too!). Stick posters up, put some important terms into a memorable song, try to be creative.

Good luck and have confidence!
Can feature of science come as a 16 marker for research methods
Original post by AQA Exam Board
It is much, much, much more important to remember what they did in the study and what they found, making sure you link this back to the question (if needed) than it is to remember the names. Examiners are very likely to know the studies you are referring to and if they do not they will look them up or ask someone more senior to check. We do not take marks away for not remembering the names. The dates don't normally matter unless you are making a point about the time in which the study was conducted (e.g., temporal validity).

Okay thank you!
do you look up the stats and figures of the research? if so do you give a lee way of how wrong the figures are as there is so much content to remember

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending