MorbidThumbs
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am currently in the final stage of typing up my personal statement (basically reading it through, making slight alterations etc), and I have made what could be a glaring mistake. I have not added any form of reference(s) to journals or studies in my personal statement. Am I at a disadvantage if I do not add references, and is it worth taking more time on my personal statement and researching journals/studies so I can add citations?
(If it helps, I am a returning student after graduating and working for six years and the masters field is Forensic Psychology.)
Last edited by MorbidThumbs; 1 year ago
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You don't need refs for your PS. You will need people who can act as your referees for your application though.
(Original post by MorbidThumbs)
I am currently in the final stage of typing up my personal statement (basically reading it through, making slight alterations etc), and I have made what could be a glaring mistake. I have not added any form of reference(s) in my personal statement. Am I at a disadvantage if I do not add references, and is it worth taking more time on my personal statement and adding references?
(If it helps, I am a returning student after graduating and working for six years and the masters field is Forensic Psychology.)
MorbidThumbs
Rep:
?
Sorry, I probably worded that wrong. I meant academic references/quotes from journals and studies.
(Original post by alleycat393)
You don't need refs for your PS. You will need people who can act as your referees for your application though.
alleycat393
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No I understood what you meant and the answer is no.
Sorry, I probably worded that wrong. I meant academic references/quotes from journals and studies.
MorbidThumbs
Rep:
?
I just reread your reply, my bad. Thank you for the swift advice.
(Original post by alleycat393)
No I understood what you meant and the answer is no.
alleycat393
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good luck!
I just reread your reply, my bad. Thank you for the swift advice.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am currently in the final stage of typing up my personal statement (basically reading it through, making slight alterations etc), and I have made what could be a glaring mistake. I have not added any form of reference(s) in my personal statement. Am I at a disadvantage if I do not add references, and is it worth taking more time on my personal statement and adding references?
why would you put a reference in your PS, normal practice is you provide details of either 1 academic/1 professional or 2 academic references directly into the application portal and the Uni will reach out to your references directly.
MorbidThumbs
Rep:
?
I meant reference as in quotes referring to journal/studies etc, not the character references that I am using. I think I need to edit my post.
(Original post by mnot)
why would you put a reference in your PS, normal practice is you provide details of either 1 academic/1 professional or 2 academic references directly into the application portal and the Uni will reach out to your references directly.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I meant reference as in quotes referring to journal/studies etc, not the character references that I am using. I think I need to edit my post.
A personal statement isn't an academic report, i wouldn't bother with formal citations. If you used 1 or 2 quotes just make it clear where the source is in the surrounding sentence. I wouldn't expect many quotes/citations needed. Its a personal statement if you've used like 5+ references then i'd wonder if you actually have written the write type of essay.

I didn't use any references on any uni applications at undergrad, masters or phd level.
Interrobang
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you are applying for the qualifying course in forensic psych, you should talk about how you have applied psychological theories. So you could say 'Based on Smith (2017), I...' or 'based on the theory regarding X...'
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (36)
17.73%
No one else does (66)
32.51%
I'm embarrassed about my background (20)
9.85%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (70)
34.48%
We don't use a video platform (3)
1.48%
I don't have a camera (3)
1.48%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
2.46%

Watched Threads