Hardest universities to get into?? Watch

Bazyli
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Which universities do you reckon are the hardest to get into in the UK?
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bazyli)
courses are often more competitive than Unis, for example GEM & veterinary are probably some of the most competitve programs.

But probably STEM at Oxford or Cambridge more generally, not necessarily the lowest number of places/ applicant but the reality is most students heading that way are getting 3/4A* a level, most students struggle to get even meet the prerequisites, plus you need a decent score on STEP or PAT/MAT etc...
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They are all hard if you haven't got sufficient qualifications. I would not get into any today as I have EEE at A level.

But I guess you mean the higher ranking ones - Oxbridge, Imperial; UCL; Bristol; Durham; St Andrews; Manchester; KCL; LSE etc
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It depends on the course, but overall I would say the following are quite difficult:

Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Manchester, LSE, Edinburgh, Warwick, Durham and Bristol.
Bazyli
Rep:
?
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
They are all hard if you haven't got sufficient qualifications. I would not get into any today as I have EEE at A level.

But I guess you mean the higher ranking ones - Oxbridge, Imperial; UCL; Bristol; Durham; St Andrews; Manchester; KCL; LSE etc
How did it work out for you in the end with those grades?
theresnohope
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
oxbridge, ucl, lse, imperial, durham
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How did it work out for you in the end with those grades?
Well I am slightly older than most people on here, but I went to Birkbeck - an evening degree where they take students without conventional qualifications. I have a BSc in Geography. I am a qualified nurse too - many years - now quite senior. I keep thinking about doing a MSc but....

Anyway what I always say to people is - work hard at school - this is the one time you can be really selfish and just concentrate on YOU.

EEE is a bit meh really and entirely my own fault.
Bazyli
Rep:
?
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
Well I am slightly older than most people on here, but I went to Birkbeck - an evening degree where they take students without conventional qualifications. I have a BSc in Geography. I am a qualified nurse too - many years - now quite senior. I keep thinking about doing a MSc but....

Anyway what I always say to people is - work hard at school - this is the one time you can be really selfish and just concentrate on YOU.

EEE is a bit meh really and entirely my own fault.
Wow, well done on getting your degree. I’ve actually finished my a levels and I’m on a gap year🙂
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
https://www.savethestudent.org/extra...-get-into.html

UCL makes more offers than KCL, LSBU and UWL. Kingston is more selective than Bristol and Durham.
Bazyli
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
https://www.savethestudent.org/extra...-get-into.html

UCL makes more offers than KCL, LSBU and UWL. Kingston is more selective than Bristol and Durham.
That’s probably due to more people with the required grades applying to ucl, Bristol and kings rather than with grades lower than the requirements as they know they’ll get rejected
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That’s probably due to more people with the required grades applying to ucl, Bristol and kings rather than with grades lower than the requirements as they know they’ll get rejected
All of those universities make offers to applicants with predicted grades below their requirements. As do LSBU, Kingston and West London. It's common practice and has no impact on offer/rejection rates. Obviously the entry requirements at UCL, Bristol and Durham are higher but rejections are usually NOT based mainly on predicted/achieved grades at the point of application (which is what this statistic is showing).

South Bank reject a higher proportion of their applicants (49.6% of applicants are rejected) than KCL (45.4% rejected) and UCL (44.3% rejected).
Kingston likewise reject 37.9% of applicants while Bristol only reject 33.5% and Durham only reject 29.8% of applicants.
Bazyli
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
All of those universities make offers to applicants with predicted grades below their requirements. As do LSBU, Kingston and West London. It's common practice and has no impact on offer/rejection rates. Obviously the entry requirements at UCL, Bristol and Durham are higher but rejections are usually NOT based mainly on predicted/achieved grades at the point of application (which is what this statistic is showing).

South Bank reject a higher proportion of their applicants (49.6% of applicants are rejected) than KCL (45.4% rejected) and UCL (44.3% rejected).
Kingston likewise reject 37.9% of applicants while Bristol only reject 33.5% and Durham only reject 29.8% of applicants.
That’s interesting tbf. Do you reckon that Bristol and kings etc give out more offers in case students firm other places instead?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That’s interesting tbf. Do you reckon that Bristol and kings etc give out more offers in case students firm other places instead?
All those universities give out more offers than there are places because they know only a proportion of offers will be accepted. That's not something unique to Bristol/Durham/Kings/UCL - LSBU, Kingston etc will also make more offers than places.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hogwarts
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
gjd800 nah Hogwarts is very welcoming https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...nal-statement/
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
But I don't know how to get there, so it is hard to get in
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
isnt hogwarts a high school, OP clearly specified hardest universities.
(Original post by gjd800)
But I don't know how to get there, so it is hard to get in
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mnot)
Must make it even harder
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mnot)
Nah - they branched out into degrees https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ule-break-down
Last edited by PQ; 1 month ago
Coolkitkat23
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by gjd800)
Hogwarts
my second cousin went, told me the school had problems with leviathens in the toilet
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (160)
17.66%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.61%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.6%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.13%

Watched Threads