?
Report 1 month ago
oxbridge 1/4 of the people who apply get in
swanseajack1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When you say more selective is that based on the highest grades to get in or because they reject more due to the lower grades of those applying not meeting the universities entry requirement. Is the reason UCL make more offers because they get rejections to applicants also applying to Oxbridge Imperial and LSE.
(Original post by PQ)
say thehttps://www.savethestudent.org/extra...-get-into.html

UCL makes more offers than KCL, LSBU and UWL. Kingston is more selective than Bristol and Durham
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
When you say more selective is that based on the highest grades to get in or because they reject more due to the lower grades of those applying not meeting the universities entry requirement. Is the reason UCL make more offers because they get rejections to applicants also applying to Oxbridge Imperial and LSE.
It's based on the higher proportion of rejections by South Bank (and I'm pretty sure that South Bank has a lower Offer > Acceptance ratio (ie more offer holders picking another choice as their firm and declining the offer from LSBU) than UCL)
Bazyli
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by J-SP)
Do you want someone to say LSE? Because I’ll say it just to help you if it stops you with these constant threads.

It’s like Wired V2
No, and it’s not lse anyway. I think it’s fifth or something. It’s just interesting that quite a few Russel group unis give out more offers than some of the lower ranked unis
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by J-SP)
Application to offer ratios say nothing about how hard it is to get in.
Agreed, such a pointless statistic for almost everywhere (apart from courses such as medicine, veterinary, Oxbridge...)

The reality is a student who gets an offer from Warwick will likely also get offers from Unis such as Bristol, Manchester or Notts and as students have to pick 5 Unis, UK Unis always have to overcompensate and give out more offers. The reality is for most 'target' unis if your a decent applicant (within shouting distance on predicted grades) you will most likely receive an offer, the question is can you get the grades...

Most rejections are for people not meeting prerequisites or personal statement not matching course, or the handful of delusion students who apply to courses which require AAA with CCC predicted grades
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by J-SP)
Do you want someone to say LSE? Because I’ll say it just to help you if it stops you with these constant threads.

It’s like Wired V2
Celal2001
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Cambridge STEM courses
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Baron of Sealand
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
in the UK it's obviously Oxbridge
Peterwv_
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hardest:
Oxbridge and Imperial

Followed by:
UCL, LSE, Edinburgh, Manchester, Bristol, KCL, Durham

And:
Other Russel Group Unis

Finally:
Everyone else
OhGod
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Film Production at The Arts University Bournemouth and Westminster have acceptance rates of 10% or less
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by OhGod)
Film Production at The Arts University Bournemouth and Westminster have acceptance rates of 10% or less
acceptance rate =/= competitiveness, as the offer rate can be much higher but if no one chooses to either firm or insurance the Uni then it still has very low acceptance rate. This is why the RG average acceptance rate is roughly 10-15% but Oxford is 20%, as everyone who gets an offer from Oxford firms it... you need to look at offer rate, and required grades, additional prerequisites to establish how competitive each course is

10% is actually a fairly normal value for a lot of Unis
Last edited by mnot; 4 weeks ago
OhGod
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mnot)
acceptance rate =/= competitiveness, as the offer rate can be much higher but if no one chooses to either firm or insurance the Uni then it still has very low acceptance rate. This is why the RG average acceptance rate is roughly 10-15% but Oxford is 20%, as everyone who gets an offer from Oxford firms it... you need to look at offer rate, and required grades, additional prerequisites to establish how competitive each course is

There’s 1000 ish applicants for 100ish spaces. I know this because I’ve studied at the Arts University Bournemouth
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by OhGod)
There’s 1000 ish applicants for 100ish spaces. I know this because I’ve studied at the Arts University Bournemouth
Again this does not mean they only give out 100 offers or that every applicant selects them as there firm choice, you seem to have misunderstood my point.

The term 'acceptance rate' was coined by students applying to American Universities where the system works completely differently. OP's thread is about the hardest universities to get into, the reality is applicants:acceptance or Offer ratios do not mean the same thing because the UK Uni application system is completely different.

Using that statistic to determine the 'hardest' or most competitive uni is a bit like selecting the golden boot winner by looking at who makes the most tackles.... its not relevant
Last edited by mnot; 4 weeks ago
Thomas tingle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It would be great fun studying magic at Hogwarts, better than my boring Primary education degree.....
(Original post by Coolkitkat23)
my second cousin went, told me the school had problems with leviathens in the toilet
OhGod
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mnot)
Again this does not mean they only give out 100 offers or that every applicant selects them as there firm choice, you seem to have misunderstood my point.

The term 'acceptance rate' was coined by students applying to American Universities where the system works completely differently. OP's thread is about the hardest universities to get into, the reality is applicants:acceptance or Offer ratios do not mean the same thing because the UK Uni application system is completely different.

Using that statistic to determine the 'hardest' or most competitive uni is a bit like selecting the golden boot winner by looking at who makes the most tackles.... its not relevant
According to which uni it’s 17% for Westminster and 27% for the Arts University Bournemouth

https://university.which.co.uk/unive...9-792f3cda5c21
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mnot)

Your point is correct, but the average offer rate that you cite for the RG is wrong. It's a lot higher than that
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
Your point is correct, but the average offer rate that you cite for the RG is wrong. It's a lot higher than that
these figures are acceptance rate not offer rate. offer rate varies from 15-80+% in the RG, way too many courses, Unis etc. to accurately summarise. But yes point taken.
Juanita1975
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Doing a gap year is good as it’ll get you to focus once you start uni on what you really want to study, instead of being influenced by peer groups, teachers or even your parents. The majority of students changing tgeir university degree or declaring dissatisfaction with their degree after studying are those that continued studying straight after A-Levels.
This break can help you to recharge. Also any “real” world experience you gain from your gap year will definitely be an advantage...
(Original post by Bazyli)
Wow, well done on getting your degree. I’ve actually finished my a levels and I’m on a gap year🙂
Sentenced_to
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
For less guessing...

Go to:
https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...ue-tables-2020
click on the:
"Average entry tariff" column header.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.83%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.99%
No I am happy with my course choice (400)
57.06%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (99)
14.12%

Watched Threads