Will Lancaster Uni Chinese Language students be behind those from other universities? Watch

GirlyWhirley18
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
On the Lancaster University page for Spanish Studies with Chinese modules (https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/in...modules/014446 and https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/un...urse-structure) it says that by the end of the degree 1,000 Chinese characters will have been learned. Additionally, it says in the prospectus that the student will have reached the equivalent of B2 of the CEFR. How does this compare with a university like Manchester where the student leaves at the end of the degree at a level of HSK 6 - or at least very near it - and with 5,000 characters?!? Will a Lancaster Chinese language student be so much further behind a student from Manchester University for instance, or the University of Birmingham where beginners in the Chinese language are given 8 hours of language lessons in the first year compared with 4 hours for those beginning Chinese in Lancaster University?
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
I think it’s clear that Lancaster students probably won’t leave with as high a level of Chinese as at the other unis you’ve mentioned.
However it depends how important the Chinese aspect of the course is to you. And I’m sure there are other things you can do to increase your level as well, like going to stay in China for a while.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Lancaster University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
  • Lancaster University
    Sat, 13 Jul '19
  • Lancaster University
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (284)
15.19%
The paper was reasonable (1038)
55.51%
Not feeling great about that exam... (404)
21.6%
It was TERRIBLE (144)
7.7%

Watched Threads