German reading comprehension and writing (checklist)

Watch
liaente
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
When I woke up this morning I was adamant on asking questions about what I should include in my German writing to get that dazzling grade 9. Alas, no replies were formed, so I decided to take initiative and spend a few hours looking at the specification and constructing information. Just to point out that I am doing AQA. I don't want you learning from the wrong exam board. Also disclaimer: I'm taking some information from various websites like BBC Bitesize or Wiki.

First off, I'm just going to start with a checklist that should give you a grade 9 if you use nearly all of them.

Tenses; pluperfect, present perfect, imperfect, present, future, conditional.
Reflexible pronouns
Impersonal verbs
Modal verbs
Relative clauses
Subordinating conjunctions
Connectives
Opinions
Time phrases + Time w/ prepositions
Tenses Word order
Comparatives & superlatives
Idioms
Vocabulary
Infinitive constructions
Passive voice
Prepositions

I'm not sure if this is all, so if anyone has anything else, please tell me

TENSES:

• The perfect tense

The perfect tense, also called present perfect (Perfekt), is a past tense. We use it to speak about actions completed in the recent past. It is used to describe something that you have done, but maybe do often and are likely to do again, eg:

Ich habe ein Film gesehen – I saw a film

The subject + auxiliary verb + the past participle, eg:

Ich habe gelernt – I studied

Ich (SUBJECT) habe (AUXILIARY VERB) gelernt (PAST PARTICIPLE)

Now if you're anything like me, you're probably thinking: "wtf is auxiliary" - Well, here it is: The auxiliary verbs you use with the past participle are either haben (to have) or sein (to be).

So an overall summary: the present perfect describes actions that leaves a possibility that you might do it again.

• The imperfect tense:

The imperfect tense is used to describe a particular event in the past, which no longer has a link to the present. It’s mainly used to write reports, articles or novels.

It tends to be used to describe one particular event in the past, rather than things that have happened in the past in general. For example, you may want to describe a particular concert you went to or a holiday you had.

Ich machte meine Hausaufgaben. – I did my homework.
Basically it doesn't use an auxiliary verb; haben or sein.

• The Pluperfect tense

We use this tense in storytelling together with the simple past, to look back at something that happened before a past event.

[I'm going to take a break typing, it takes forever to do these things - I'll edit soon(ish)]
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This looks amazing
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (92)
28.48%
No (231)
71.52%

Watched Threads