The Student Room Group

Apprenticeships are for dumb people

Thats what my sister, 30, is implying to me. She forced me out of A levels due to my health and me apparently being too stupid to do it and i told her i want to study and she goes you could do an apprenticeship. Why do people say drop out of A levels and do an apprenticeship and not a btec?
Yeah whatever

I have a 1st class stem degree from a rg uni and i have been applying to them

Some are very good and better than a lot of grad jobs with 21k+ salaries
I did an apprenticeship and a btec with block release, 3-months at college, 3-months "in the pit" (as it was called, real grimy engineering then later computer skills and higher level skills) I scored 9% at maths 'A'-level (hence dumb!), but when I graduated with HTEC I'm sure I got 87% in engineering maths (appropriate, bit less dumb)

there are many options, go and visit a college or workplace & chat with many wise people
My older brother got 3 A* at A level and decided to do an apprenticeship with BT and it's working out pretty well :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Thats what my sister, 30, is implying to me. She forced me out of A levels due to my health and me apparently being too stupid to do it and i told her i want to study and she goes you could do an apprenticeship. Why do people say drop out of A levels and do an apprenticeship and not a btec?
Apprenticeships certainly aren't for dumb people. Your sister is apparently too ignorant to understand that not everyone does well in a traditionally academic environment and that apprenticeships offer a much wider range of subjects than A Levels do. They can often mean kick-starting your career is a lot easier. Most jobs ask for some kind of experience alongside grades etc and you're not going to get that whilst only writing essays and doing exams. Apprenticeships are so valuable and open doors for a lot of people - if it was only A Levels or nothing then a lot of people would have no chance of going into the industry they love.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Your sister sounds like she's thinking back a few years to when an apprentice was taken on by someone in a trade and in some cases was more of a labourer's mate who did a bit of fixing stuff under supervision and might get a job out of it.

Apprenticeships today are just a different way of learning and give job experience and a range of qualifications up to master's degree; they are widely recognised and an excellent way of getting into certain professions.

For example, the Armed Forces offer apprenticeships to trainees in certain roles, through a mixture of classroom learning and being hands-on in their first job; for the latter they have to complete certain tasks and keep a record, it's fairly intensive and they're not going to be letting just anyone do fault-finding and repairs on an aircraft!

As has been said, there are plenty of options available to you. Good luck with whatever you choose.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous #1

I'm an electrical apprentice. 3rd year in and i have learned hardly anything. Yes in my case. It is dumb and for dumb people ....
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous #1

yes beware if you take an apprenticeship you will be treated like a slave and wont learn anything.
Example. 3 years electrical apprentice. what a waste of time. Its just an excuse for employers to pay you less and then lock you in once you get Jman

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending