psych95
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi there,

Just what the title says really!

Has anyone successfully completed a PGCE in a setting that was NOT full-time?

If so, how did they find it and what was the structure of the course? Which university did you study at? How many other students were studying alongside you?

Did you still go to university and the school placement every week like a full-time student?

Any reviews of your experiences - good or bad - would be appreciated!

Thanks
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi

I'm not sure how many PGCE courses offer a part time option, but I know a lot of SCITTs do- e.g. GITEP in Gloucestershire take a lot of people on part time.

I didn't do my PGCE part time, but in my first placement school there were two ladies doing a SCITT part time. They did 3 days a week in school- and I believe it was going to take them 18 months, rather than a year to complete. As I understand it, they spread her assignments out through the year differently too. In this was placed in, I believe there were 2 other students on the same SCITT (in different subjects, full time) as well as a few PGCE students from different settings. I don't know how many people were on the SCITT in total, unfortunately.

The school seemed very supportive of people doing their teacher training part time.

Sorry it's not a more informative response, but I hope this helps a bit.
psych95
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Hi

I'm not sure how many PGCE courses offer a part time option, but I know a lot of SCITTs do- e.g. GITEP in Gloucestershire take a lot of people on part time.

I didn't do my PGCE part time, but in my first placement school there were two ladies doing a SCITT part time. They did 3 days a week in school- and I believe it was going to take them 18 months, rather than a year to complete. As I understand it, they spread her assignments out through the year differently too. In this was placed in, I believe there were 2 other students on the same SCITT (in different subjects, full time) as well as a few PGCE students from different settings. I don't know how many people were on the SCITT in total, unfortunately.

The school seemed very supportive of people doing their teacher training part time.

Sorry it's not a more informative response, but I hope this helps a bit.
TI actually hadn't heard about SCITT before but I see now that it's similar to School Direct programmes - will look into it for sure. Another option to consider so thank you!
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by psych95)
TI actually hadn't heard about SCITT before but I see now that it's similar to School Direct programmes - will look into it for sure. Another option to consider so thank you!
No worries- I think the smaller school based programs can have more flexibility, whereas uni based programs tend to have to work for a large number of students and placement schools, which may mean there is less flexibility in terms of being able to do things part time.

Good luck, and I hope you're able to find a route to suit you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (15)
9.8%
Disagree (10)
6.54%
Neither agree or disagree (50)
32.68%
Agree (58)
37.91%
Strongly Agree (20)
13.07%

Watched Threads