Bruh That’s more than enough
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Coolkitkat23
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
only around this time lol, during school ill only revise for 2 hours m a x depending on my confidence with the subject
(Original post by 95joe)
don’t stress yourself out, you’ll be at school around 6 hours a day so you won’t have time to yourself if you do too much studying, i can’t remember studying for that amount of time on days off
Oxford Mum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Some really great advice on here. Smart revision is better than 15 hours ( what are they bionic?) past papers are a great way to revise and my son did that a lot. You will be pleased to know you don’t need physics a level to study medicine at Oxford. Just keep on trucking at that revision- it will be worth it in the end
lame-o
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
When I was doing GCSEs I did all my revision the night before and got totally average grades. Now I'm about to start a masters degree, so I wouldn't worry about it too much hahaha. The only time you'll ever be asked what GCSE grades you have will be when you're applying to college courses. After that they're never mentioned ever again, so don't stress! :-)
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Op is wanting to read medicine at Oxford, where the average number of a stars at gcse level for successful applicants is 10. She knows about this. So without burning herself out, she still needs to keep her nose to the grindstone. I would recommend short breaks. This is what my son used to do ( who is now half way through the course op wants) lots of past papers Liverpool’s smart system sounds good) but at 9pm he had to stop. From 9 to 10pm he could watch any tv programme or do anything he wanted. This would often involve gory programmes, which I hate, so I would hide in another room.
pancakesbob7
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
Op is wanting to read medicine at Oxford, where the average number of a stars at gcse level for successful applicants is 10. She knows about this. So without burning herself out, she still needs to keep her nose to the grindstone. I would recommend short breaks. This is what my son used to do ( who is now half way through the course op wants) lots of past papers Liverpool’s smart system sounds good) but at 9pm he had to stop. From 9 to 10pm he could watch any tv programme or do anything he wanted. This would often involve gory programmes, which I hate, so I would hide in another room.
Do the majority of medical schools/universities take into account gcse grades? Even the irrelevant subjects(e.g.history)?
cow2000
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
6 hours is great, especially for GCSE's and as people have been saying 6 hours effective revision is better than 10+ hours revision because after a while you will just fry your brain! Remember there is much more to you than exams and I know it may not feel like this at the moment but GCSEs really don't define you or your future! Remember to have fun and relax in exam period as it will really alleviate the stress... Good Luck and you will be FINE, you've got this!
(Original post by Coolkitkat23)
basically the question, cause i see people on tsr doing 15 and i cant even do 6 without wanting to kms
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
basically the question, cause i see people on tsr doing 15 and i cant even do 6 without wanting to kms
Those people claiming to do 15 hours are either a bit silly, or lying.

6 is fine tbh, it what works for you.
Coolkitkat23
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
the thingy with 15 made me actually cry and say 'am i not good enough' throughout the week its mostly been 4,5,6 hours or i d i e. Thanks alot guys!
(Original post by Andrew97)
Those people claiming to do 15 hours are either a bit silly, or lying.

6 is fine tbh, it what works for you.
(Original post by cow2000)
6 hours is great, especially for GCSE's and as people have been saying 6 hours effective revision is better than 10+ hours revision because after a while you will just fry your brain! Remember there is much more to you than exams and I know it may not feel like this at the moment but GCSEs really don't define you or your future! Remember to have fun and relax in exam period as it will really alleviate the stress... Good Luck and you will be FINE, you've got this!
alissah
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If i'm being honest starting from Monday I told myself i'd just stay in my room and begin maths past papers /revision as the paper 1 higher edexcel was so bad for me and I normally get 3's in my mocks ! So I just sat there for like half a day just doing content revision with a mathwatch CD and did not even get a chance to do ANY past papers because at the end of the day I could not answer half of the questions ...moral of the story just forget the 15 hours and stick to what you are doing because at this moment I feel like i'm gonna fail maths just because of poor revision techniques ..what a waste of time . x
the thingy with 15 made me actually cry and say 'am i not good enough' throughout the week its mostly been 4,5,6 hours or i d i e. Thanks alot guys!
pancakesbob7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
But you still have time so don't give up!!! Bruh I have 3 history papers, with 2 of them next week, 3 days apart(I am a very bad studnt in history), and I've only just started to cram in now LOL - I've been getting 3s and 4s in my history and my mum's only just told me that she expects me to get a 5, 6 or 7 in history - NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

Still, some work is better than nothing, and it doesn't matter if you get lots wrong in past papers! You're supposed to get stuff in practice papers wrong, so you can learn from mistakes and not get it wrong in the actual exam! Just remember : don't igve up and do as much as you can(of course, remember to take a small 5-10 min break once your mind starts to wander)!!!

Best of luck in your exams mate
(Original post by alissah)
If i'm being honest starting from Monday I told myself i'd just stay in my room and begin maths past papers /revision as the paper 1 higher edexcel was so bad for me and I normally get 3's in my mocks ! So I just sat there for like half a day just doing content revision with a mathwatch CD and did not even get a chance to do ANY past papers because at the end of the day I could not answer half of the questions ...moral of the story just forget the 15 hours and stick to what you are doing because at this moment I feel like i'm gonna fail maths just because of poor revision techniques ..what a waste of time . x
jamesbarry17
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I do about 20 minutes a day on average apart from exam days themselves and get A/B on average so...6 hours would be more than enough for me.
Coolkitkat23
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
thank you so much! i suggest using mathwatch however do practice papers along with it, i went from a 5-7 in my mocks just by doing past papers, my teacher couldnt even predict me higher then a 6 lol
(Original post by alissah)
kali8603
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I do about 2-3 if that and I'm fine, that said I revised months before the exams even started :-)
Turtlebunny
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
People on TSR who say they do 15 hours a day are lying: if you're doing 15 solid hours of revision a day you don't have time to come on TSR to say you're doing 15 solid hours a day!

I'm a second year Chemist at Durham. I did 12 GCSE's and I did fairly well, I did 4 A-levels and I did fairly well. I'm now in my second year studying a STEM degree at a top university - I don't think I have ever consistently, day in day out, done even 6 hours of revision.
What you should take away from this is not that you should cram for your exams or not do revision: there are days during exam period where I tend to spend most of the day sat at a desk BUT it's about working smart not hard. Don't count the hours you do, rather what you gain from those hours and what you have learnt. Don't waste time on easy topics you already know from class; seek discomfort in doing the topics you struggle with the most and doing questions/past papers in an effective way - that's how you revise, not staring at a textbook for 15 hours a day and rewriting notes you've already made. It may work for some but there are definitely more efficient and less time consuming ways of doing it. GCSE's are early days and you're still learning how to effectively study and they are really your first proper exams for a few years (if you go to uni). Don't stress, it'll all be fine. Good luck!
Coolkitkat23
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
yeah im just going to work hard and not count the hours thanks for telling me your experience!
(Original post by Turtlebunny)
People on TSR who say they do 15 hours a day are lying: if you're doing 15 solid hours of revision a day you don't have time to come on TSR to say you're doing 15 solid hours a day!

I'm a second year Chemist at Durham. I did 12 GCSE's and I did fairly well, I did 4 A-levels and I did fairly well. I'm now in my second year studying a STEM degree at a top university - I don't think I have ever consistently, day in day out, done even 6 hours of revision.
What you should take away from this is not that you should cram for your exams or not do revision: there are days during exam period where I tend to spend most of the day sat at a desk BUT it's about working smart not hard. Don't count the hours you do, rather what you gain from those hours and what you have learnt. Don't waste time on easy topics you already know from class; seek discomfort in doing the topics you struggle with the most and doing questions/past papers in an effective way - that's how you revise, not staring at a textbook for 15 hours a day and rewriting notes you've already made. It may work for some but there are definitely more efficient and less time consuming ways of doing it. GCSE's are early days and you're still learning how to effectively study and they are really your first proper exams for a few years (if you go to uni). Don't stress, it'll all be fine. Good luck!
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yay turtle 🐢 bunny 🐰

Don’t ever think you’re not good enough. Just do what you can and study effectively. I used to spend hours studying but most of those hours were wasted panicking

For those of you who wonder if their gcse level grades are good enough for medicine there is a special thread called are my GCSEs good enough for medicine and the ultimate am I good enough for medicine angst thread mark iv
Coolkitkat23
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Tysm Oxford mum I also start panicking and realise 'wow its already really late' i used to do that, but i manage my time now.
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
Yay turtle 🐢 bunny 🐰

Don’t ever think you’re not good enough. Just do what you can and study effectively. I used to spend hours studying but most of those hours were wasted panicking

For those of you who wonder if their gcse level grades are good enough for medicine there is a special thread called are my GCSEs good enough for medicine and the ultimate am I good enough for medicine angst thread mark iv
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Just put your head down and try just to think about the work that’s in front of you right now. Barror1 is studying for Cambridge and he makes a very organised revision timetable. Then you can see your goals right in front of you each day and can revise evenly. He also seems to have a goal with a goal ie which aspects of each exam he will target
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (449)
19.01%
The paper was reasonable (1101)
46.61%
Not feeling great about that exam... (520)
22.02%
It was TERRIBLE (292)
12.36%

Watched Threads