Omar Almnini
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hello people, I’m now revising for my history GCSE next week paper1. Can you tell me what is the best thing to do during this time. Thank you
hannah!!
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
i'm in the same boat. I just started doing vietnam war revision (i'm not sure which segments ur doing) and i'm currently watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exVKd-x5QVc whilst using help from https://www.bbc.com/bitesize/guides/zyh9mnb/revision/4 and typing in all the information in chronological order into a word document which i'll hopefully (if i'm not lazy enough) write up onto flash cards too, or make a timeline.

i've started with the vietnam war because it's my least confident area and i'll probably do the same for all areas, starting with my next least confident area (probably american west, specifically the indian vs settler wars).

i wouldn't recommend trying to learn the whole course in detail now, just look over key facts, dates & events and briefly skim through your old textbooks or revision materials (unless you're not going to revise anything else).
Anthos
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
You need to write a lot in History so I'd recommend getting a comfortable pen that you can write a lot with. Make sure it's black ink (though they won't penalise you for using blue, it's recommended to use black).

Most of the questions in History have a specific structure, so make sure you learn the structure and how to answer the questions in this structure. If it's a question with sources, make sure you consider the context of the source, and its message/audience/purpose (CAMP) - is it implicit/explicit/what are its limitations, etc.

Make sure you know your facts too for History, because you'll need to use that as evidence in your answers. Practice doing exam questions. Make sure your SPaG is good because that'll be 5% of the marks for the total GCSE (same for geography, I believe?).
Omar Almnini
Rep:
?
I will try to do my best because English is not my first language and I been in Britain for 2 years so hopefully I pass .
Thank you.
(Original post by Anthos)
You need to write a lot in History so I'd recommend getting a comfortable pen that you can write a lot with. Make sure it's black ink (though they won't penalise you for using blue, it's recommended to use black).

Most of the questions in History have a specific structure, so make sure you learn the structure and how to answer the questions in this structure. If it's a question with sources, make sure you consider the context of the source, and its message/audience/purpose (CAMP) - is it implicit/explicit/what are its limitations, etc.

Make sure you know your facts too for History, because you'll need to use that as evidence in your answers. Practice doing exam questions. Make sure your SPaG is good because that'll be 5% of the marks for the total GCSE (same for geography, I believe?).
Omar Almnini
Rep:
?
Yeah you right doing the whole book in 4 days won’t help.
Good luck
(Original post by hannah!!)
i'm in the same boat. I just started doing vietnam war revision (i'm not sure which segments ur doing) and i'm currently watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exVKd-x5QVc whilst using help from https://www.bbc.com/bitesize/guides/zyh9mnb/revision/4 and typing in all the information in chronological order into a word document which i'll hopefully (if i'm not lazy enough) write up onto flash cards too, or make a timeline.

i've started with the vietnam war because it's my least confident area and i'll probably do the same for all areas, starting with my next least confident area (probably american west, specifically the indian vs settler wars).

i wouldn't recommend trying to learn the whole course in detail now, just look over key facts, dates & events and briefly skim through your old textbooks or revision materials (unless you're not going to revise anything else).
Omar Almnini
Rep:
?
Quick question,
Doing flash cards and writing notes is it really useful or just reading will help better?
Because I’m feeling I’m wasting my time writing!

(Original post by hannah!!)

hannah!!
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
i find the act of actually writing the information out as i would in an exam helps me to retain it better. i also like to add a few questions on the topic which i can briefly answer before the exam too, to make sure i understand the card + topic a little better.

however, each person is different in what does and doesn't work for them, so if you find writing is ineffective for you, i'd recommend spending your time elsewhere - perhaps you can use virtual flashcards like quizlet or something (:
(Original post by Omar Almnini)
Quick question,
Doing flash cards and writing notes is it really useful or just reading will help better?
Because I’m feeling I’m wasting my time writing!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.39%
No (241)
33.61%

Watched Threads