The Student Room Group

I can't cook

How long should I cook pasta for? I usually cook it for about 2 minutes in lukewarm water because if I use boiling water I will burn myself.
Every time I try it is very hard and crunchy but I am too lazy to try again so I end up sounding like my teeth have all fallen out and I got peckish.
Maybe it is not the cooking that is wrong, but in fact me.
Please help! I am running out of things to eat and energy to do things!

Scroll to see replies

You should use boiling water.
Reply 2
just use boiling water....
But if I do I will burn myself! And I think that is worse
Original post by enoix
You should use boiling water.
Original post by student_bean
But if I do I will burn myself! And I think that is worse

Try not to burn yourself
use boiling water for up to ten minutes - it should say so on the package of whatever pasta ur using...
Reply 6
Just follow the packet? Not that hard?
I have to use my hands to cook and they will get burnt
Original post by enoix
Try not to burn yourself
They dont want to burn themselves
Original post by ibyghee
It hurts!!
Original post by ibyghee
On food packets, there are instructions. I recommend reading them. Dried pasta (which is what it must be if it's hard and crunchy) should be cooked in boiling water for around 12 minutes on the hob. If the water starts bubbling over turn it down a little. That's honestly all you need to do. Cooking is easy, just follow the instructions. There's nobody on this planet who "can't cook" given the right ingredients, only those too lazy to try and bother.

Lukewarm water won't cook anything. You might as well eat it straight out of the packet if you're going to do that.
It hurts!!

you put your hand in the water?
Original post by nahallowit
use boiling water for up to ten minutes - it should say so on the package of whatever pasta ur using...

My mum mails me pasta every week so there are no instructions
I have to use my hands to cook and they will get burnt

You don't have to use your hands, you can use maybe a large wooden spoon or something,
Thanks for supporting me! Do you get the same sensation?
Original post by clambosnian
They dont want to burn themselves
I'm not eating dry pasta out of the packet thats just weird
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
On food packets, there are instructions. I recommend reading them. Dried pasta (which is what it must be if it's hard and crunchy) should be cooked in boiling water for around 12 minutes on the hob. If the water starts bubbling over turn it down a little. That's honestly all you need to do. Cooking is easy, just follow the instructions. There's nobody on this planet who "can't cook" given the right ingredients, only those too lazy to try and bother.

Lukewarm water won't cook anything. You might as well eat it straight out of the packet if you're going to do that.
yes it really hurts me every time i would recommend using lukewarm water like you said but just waiting for longer it should eventually cook i think I'm no gordon ramsey but it works for me
Thanks for supporting me! Do you get the same sensation?
Troll alert
Reply 18
This kinda sounds like a troll. To cook pasta you have to use boiling water, you don't have to use your hands while cooking buy a strainer or just use a fork.
Otherwise cook something else.
I'm not eating dry pasta out of the packet thats just weird

No, you are eating wet pasta out of the packet...

You need to use boiling water. I don't really see how you are hurting yourself doing it - use a large spoon to gently put the pasta in the water if you are scared of splashes or whatever.

And just out of interest, why does your mom mail you pasta (and why is it not in a packet with instructions)?
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest