The Student Room Group

Dealership double sold my car now charging me more

So 2 weeks ago I went to buy a used approved from a manufacture dealership, I found a car I liked which was an ex display model with a lot of extras and I put my £1,000 deposit down and that was that and was going to pay the rest in 2 weeks when I collected the car, everything was agreed upon and I signed for the car.

I traded in my current vehicle to a 2nd hand dealer ship the next day and had to wait 5-7 working days to get the money.

The next day after that I got a call from the dealers saying they double sold my and the other person brought it earlier in the day to me, so they get the car. But they will get me a similar spec, better or newer for the same price. I thought ok and left them to it.

Now they couldn’t get a similar spec’d car and they are talking about a new one but want to charge me almost £2,000 more for the same car I paid for already but it’s new.

Considering this is the dealerships fault do I have any control over the situation where I can say I want it for the same price or do I just have to accept it?
From what you say you have a contract to buy a car of that specification for that price. They must deliver it. Go to see CAB.
You'd be wise to go on a consumer rights forum really...

But it sounds like breach of contract on their part. You put down £1,000 on the assumption that you'd get a certain car, of a certain quality, at certain price. Through their error you cannot have the car any more, so they have failed to fulfill their side of the contract.

You'd very likely be entitled to a full refund of the deposit. The problem is, you *might* have to take them to court as quite a few car places are quite adverse towards handing back £1,000.

They almost certainly WON'T hand you a new car for the second-hand price, as they'd be losing money in such a transaction. Giving you back the deposit would be preferable compared to that...

There *may* be scope for "consequential loss" as well, but that's a bit trickier.
Reply 3
Yeah, i’m pretty sure they will give the deposit back as it’s main dealers. But I really wanted that particular car and it’s difficult to get, so I was wondering if I had any sort of entitlement when it comes to negotiations really. Like something I could hang over there head to get me more of a discount really or if I had some sort of right to get a car if that spec for the price.
Original post by Thermic_Marlin
You'd be wise to go on a consumer rights forum really...

But it sounds like breach of contract on their part. You put down £1,000 on the assumption that you'd get a certain car, of a certain quality, at certain price. Through their error you cannot have the car any more, so they have failed to fulfill their side of the contract.

You'd very likely be entitled to a full refund of the deposit. The problem is, you *might* have to take them to court as quite a few car places are quite adverse towards handing back £1,000.

They almost certainly WON'T hand you a new car for the second-hand price, as they'd be losing money in such a transaction. Giving you back the deposit would be preferable compared to that...

There *may* be scope for "consequential loss" as well, but that's a bit trickier.
Reply 4
Yes, it’s an option but I really hope it doesn’t come to using CAB
Original post by Good bloke
From what you say you have a contract to buy a car of that specification for that price. They must deliver it. Go to see CAB.
Reply 5
This is a very common ploy used by dealerships to get you to pay more. If you've paid for the car and got the invoice, it's now yours - tell them to stick it.

Quick Reply

Latest