The Student Room Group

EU Settlement Scheme - Settled Status?

Hi,

I applied to the EU Settlement Scheme and was successfully awarded "Settled Status" in April. I've lived here for over 8 years as an EU national.

Now I'am trying to apply for funding for a PGCE Post-compulsory including both tuition fee loan and maintenance loan. It seems the paper forms haven't been changed to accommodate the change of status for us EU nationals that have been awarded settled status. I can choose Settled Status (and select Germany as my nationality) when I do the application online, but not on the paper version. Since Settled Status is something you have to apply for, does that mean that it has priority over EU national? As such, I should choose Settled Status rather than EU National for my application.

With Settled Status, the online form only asks for three years, rather than 5 years of residence history. Is that then correct? Is there a special requirement attached to these three years;i.e. no full-time study etc?
Original post by Miss_mischy
Hi,

I applied to the EU Settlement Scheme and was successfully awarded "Settled Status" in April. I've lived here for over 8 years as an EU national.

Now I'am trying to apply for funding for a PGCE Post-compulsory including both tuition fee loan and maintenance loan. It seems the paper forms haven't been changed to accommodate the change of status for us EU nationals that have been awarded settled status. I can choose Settled Status (and select Germany as my nationality) when I do the application online, but not on the paper version. Since Settled Status is something you have to apply for, does that mean that it has priority over EU national? As such, I should choose Settled Status rather than EU National for my application.

With Settled Status, the online form only asks for three years, rather than 5 years of residence history. Is that then correct? Is there a special requirement attached to these three years;i.e. no full-time study etc?

Hi there,

You would still select you are an EU national on the paper or online form. As you are an EU national you need to have five years residency within the UK to apply for both a Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan.

Thanks, Erin
Does this also apply for the postgraduate loan? There's a question that asks about my UK residency Status. I mean, it would be both though, EU national and settled? The UK government also emailed a letter when I received my Settled Status which said that this settled status equates to "Indefinite Leave to Remain". Surely that counts for something?

On another note, regarding the Postgraduate loan, do I need to enter an English address on the question where my permanent home will be on 1 September(referring to the online form)? I don't know what my English address will be on the 1 September 2019 (my course starts mid- September) yet. I said that my permanent home will be in the EU on 1 September 2019 as otherwise I wouldn't be able to complete the online postgraduate loan application for EU nationals. Would my application fail or do I need to be able to enter an English address for 1 September 2019? I'm looking for accommodation in July, but I don't want to wait until July to send off my application.

Thanks.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Miss_mischy
Does this also apply for the postgraduate loan? There's a question that asks about my UK residency Status. I mean, it would be both though, EU national and settled? The UK government also emailed a letter when I received my Settled Status which said that this settled status equates to "Indefinite Leave to Remain". Surely that counts for something?

On another note, regarding the Postgraduate loan, do I need to enter an English address on the question where my permanent home will be on 1 September(referring to the online form)? I don't know what my English address will be on the 1 September 2019 (my course starts mid- September) yet. I said that my permanent home will be in the EU on 1 September 2019 as otherwise I wouldn't be able to complete the online postgraduate loan application for EU nationals. Would my application fail or do I need to be able to enter an English address for 1 September 2019? I'm looking for accommodation in July, but I don't want to wait until July to send off my application.

Thanks.

Hi,

You would choose EU national. Choosing settled status would automatically make the system think you're from outside of the EU and have Indefinite Leave to Remain which is not correct.

As you're applying for postgraduate funding you only need 3 years residency in the UK/EEA on before the first day of the first academic year to be eligible.

Are you studying at a university in England? If so you can enter your EU address for the residency question. You won't need to enter a UK address.

Thanks, Chanel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending