I got rejected by QMUL because I took a top-up degree

Watch
stevenball
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Today I woke up with a rejection letter from QMUL for MSc Artificial Intelligence. They said I didn't meet the entry qualifications because I'm taking a top-up degree. A top-up degree is when you finish a degree in one year, so basically they just put you straight to third year. As I recall, third year grades are worth 75% of the overall grade. I am also expected to graduate with a first class degree. Not to mention I have two years working experience as a software engineer. I think my application shouldn't have been rejected. What do you guys think?
stevenball
Rep:
?
Today I woke up with a rejection letter from QMUL for MSc Artificial Intelligence. They said I didn't meet the entry qualifications because I'm taking a top-up degree. A top-up degree is when you finish a degree in one year, so basically they just put you straight to third year. As I recall, third year grades are worth 75% of the overall grade. I am also expected to graduate with a first class degree. Not to mention I have two years working experience as a software engineer. I think my application shouldn't have been rejected. What do you guys think?
Warwick65
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My understanding of a top up degree is different to what I think you have said. You seem to suggest you are leapfrogging a year but is that the case? What exactly are the entry requirements and what qualifications do you actually have?

maybe they are looking at what you have and not what is predicted- or maybe your referees did not predict the 1st class you are expecting
stevenball
Rep:
?
(Original post by Warwick65)
My understanding of a top up degree is different to what I think you have said. You seem to suggest you are leapfrogging a year but is that the case? What exactly are the entry requirements and what qualifications do you actually have?

maybe they are looking at what you have and not what is predicted- or maybe your referees did not predict the 1st class you are expecting
I'm not really leapfrogging because I have a BSc Computer Science degree in the Philippines. I took a top-up degree because my first university wasn't recognised here in UK so I wasn't qualified to apply for master's degree.

Entry requirements for QMUL is 2:1 and my interim grade overall is 2:1. However, I'll be finishing with a first class degree since I did extremely well on my 2nd term. Both my referees wrote a compelling reference letter since I got at least 90% on the modules I took under them. One of my referees even wrote in my reference letter that I was on track on getting a first.
GreenBell
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by stevenball)
I'm not really leapfrogging because I have a BSc Computer Science degree in the Philippines. I took a top-up degree because my first university wasn't recognised here in UK so I wasn't qualified to apply for master's degree.

Entry requirements for QMUL is 2:1 and my interim grade overall is 2:1. However, I'll be finishing with a first class degree since I did extremely well on my 2nd term. Both my referees wrote a compelling reference letter since I got at least 90% on the modules I took under them. One of my referees even wrote in my reference letter that I was on track on getting a first.
Since your degree is not recognised here, maybe that's the reason.
stevenball
Rep:
?
(Original post by GreenBell)
Since your degree is not recognised here, maybe that's the reason.
That's the reason why I took the top up degree to get the qualification I needed. I am certain it is not that because I got an offer from City, University of London. Entry requirements was a minimum of 2:1 as well.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What are your other qualifications?
Samsam2019
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Call up the admissions team and explain your position, also explain why you are suitable for the course and that it is your dream to study for an msc in AI
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've merged your thread from Applications & UCAS forum with this one in Postgraduate Applications (duplicate threads aren't allowed on TSR).

How relevant is your top-up degree? And what qualifications led you to that? Maybe they didn't recognise your background as specific enough. Perhaps, the course was just very competitive. Request feedback from the university if you haven't already.
Last edited by PhoenixFortune; 2 years ago
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If they have a blanket policy of not accepting top ups, or considering them on a case by case basis, there's not really much that can be done here.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.16%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.17%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.05%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.56%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.35%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.71%

Watched Threads