The Student Room Group

Irritable bowel syndrome

Got advice on anything that works for it cos ive tried a lot of stuff and it still bothers me

Scroll to see replies

Stress is a big factor of this.

Try limit the amount to stress being placed on you or anybody close to you.
Got it as well...bloatings the absolute worst part ....can’t even eat crumbs without looking pregnant lol. Appaz celery juice is meant to work but it tastes really bad homemade..idk just my opinion
Reply 3
Don't think my ibs is affected by stress.
Original post by MajorFader
Stress is a big factor of this.

Try limit the amount to stress being placed on you or anybody close to you.
@73iso

Peppermint tea can really help - I find if my stomach is really sore then a cup of peppermint tea helps soothe it :smile:

Other than that, if your IBS has been diagnosed by your GP if you can try Buscopan, helps with the cramping feeling loads (but you've probably already tried this!) If you haven't been diagnosed, go to your GP and ask for a blood test to confirm - I thought I just had IBS but turns out I have coeliac disease and IBS, so getting tested is key. I now follow a strict gluten free diet which has really helped calm my IBS down as well as being necessary as a coeliac.

Colpermin (peppermint oil tables) can help, but they are expensive if you're using them regularly.

Good luck, IBS can be so challenging, I feel you.

:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by StrawberryDreams
@73iso

Peppermint tea can really help - I find if my stomach is really sore then a cup of peppermint tea helps soothe it :smile:

Other than that, if your IBS has been diagnosed by your GP if you can try Buscopan, helps with the cramping feeling loads (but you've probably already tried this!) If you haven't been diagnosed, go to your GP and ask for a blood test to confirm - I thought I just had IBS but turns out I have coeliac disease and IBS, so getting tested is key. I now follow a strict gluten free diet which has really helped calm my IBS down as well as being necessary as a coeliac.

Colpermin (peppermint oil tables) can help, but they are expensive if you're using them regularly.

Good luck, IBS can be so challenging, I feel you.

:smile:

I've tried anti spasmodic drugs like buscopan and now I have moved onto a laxative called isphagula husk and I've found out that it helps much more.
Original post by 73iso
Got advice on anything that works for it cos ive tried a lot of stuff and it still bothers me

There was a medication that I used to be prescribed and it did wonders for my IBS. I can't remember the name but I'll look into it and then let you know what it was.

Also, I don't know about you, but my IBS worsens when I have spicy food and things with garlic. If you can, avoid those.

Have plenty of fibre as well. I was actually prescribed some excellent fibre supplement that I still use today. It's called: 'Normacol 62% w/w Sterculia Granule'. I would definitely recommend this!
Reply 7
Original post by Quick-use
There was a medication that I used to be prescribed and it did wonders for my IBS. I can't remember the name but I'll look into it and then let you know what it was.

Also, I don't know about you, but my IBS worsens when I have spicy food and things with garlic. If you can, avoid those.

Have plenty of fibre as well. I was actually prescribed some excellent fibre supplement that I still use today. It's called: 'Normacol 62% w/w Sterculia Granule'. I would definitely recommend this!

The isphagula husk that I'm taking is a soluble fibre supplement
Original post by 73iso
The isphagula husk that I'm taking is a soluble fibre supplement

I might've tried that before. In all honesty, if you can I would try the fibre supplement that I've recommended. I've found it to be leagues above other fibre supplements. I know this may sound crazy, but I've found it to be so effective and efficient that I couldn't imagine life without it :lol:.
Original post by 73iso

I know this seems simple but flannels drenched in hot water on the stomach is a lifesaver
Has anyone got anything for bloating tho :|
i have ibs and generalised anxiety (and a lot of other stuff tbh) and usually use Bach's rescue remedy mint chewing gum to settle my stomach a little. They also do other pastilles etc. and i would also recommend buying an electronic heatpad (it works like a dream for me) or if needing to be active, then deep heat patches. Buscopan is also helpful but not all the time. Best of Luck x
Hi does anyone with IBS know if I could possibly have it

It’s really embarassing. Constant stomach vibrations but I don’t know if they hear it
Constantly gassy
Stomach looks fat even though I am as skinny as a twig
Can’t gain weight
Feeling lethargic and weak all the time.
Uncomfortable stomach

I did have a hernia as a child ?

Cheers
16 year old boy
Original post by Anonymous
Hi does anyone with IBS know if I could possibly have it

It’s really embarassing. Constant stomach vibrations but I don’t know if they hear it
Constantly gassy
Stomach looks fat even though I am as skinny as a twig
Can’t gain weight
Feeling lethargic and weak all the time.
Uncomfortable stomach

I did have a hernia as a child ?

Cheers
16 year old boy

Have you been checked for Coeliac disease?
^ No. but does this mean I won’t be able to eat gluten anymore. If so that ******* sucks ......
^ No. but does this mean I won’t be able to eat gluten anymore. If so that ******* sucks ......

You'd need to be tested to know if you have it. But yes, people with it should avoid gluten
Is it a GP or hospital visit ? My parents are so uncaring about it, how do I convince them? They jus think its because Im not eating enough which is really really really making me angry.
Reply 17
Is it a GP or hospital visit ? My parents are so uncaring about it, how do I convince them? They jus think its because Im not eating enough which is really really really making me angry.

I can understand how you feel angry about your parents not caring. Have you spoken to a doctor about this?
(edited 4 years ago)

Your GP can organise bloods and other tests if needed.

I'm sorry you're experiencing this :frown: I know how difficult it is to get people to believe you. I had all the symptoms of coeliac disease for ages; anaemia, tiredness, shortness of breath and dodgy stomach and no-one even thought of testing me for it, so do push back if you really feel like that may be the case.

If you go to your GP they'll send you for blood tests to rule out a variety of different things. If you come back with the markers for coeliac disease, they'll refer you to the hospital for an endoscopy. This is a thin camera that is put down your throat into your gut to check for the damage the disease causes.There can be a bit of a wait for these, and you need to keep eating gluten while you wait - don't stop!

After this test, which is a day procedure, they'll confirm and send you to a dietitian if necessary. If not, they'll explore other options.

GF can take a bit of getting used to, but there are so many great alternatives out there to eat and you learn how to cook which is amazing! The only thing I miss is takeaway pizza and donughts. Everything else I'm pretty much covered if I make it myself :smile:

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest