Languages revision Watch

Quizlit
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hey does anyone have any ideas for how to revise language exams? I've got my end of year 12 exams next week (A-Level mocks, sort of). And I'm taking French, German and English Lit.

How does one revise for their French and German listening/reading exams? I've been revising vocab for all the topics but does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks
Aly Lim
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You can use Duolingo, Seneca or you can use quizlet
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Do practice repeating and listening questions from your textbook or online kerboodle, and ask your teacher for mark schemes to mark them. Or use the AS past papers on the AQA website. Going over vocabulary is helpful, but shouldn’t be the only revision you do. Make sure to practice English into French/ German translations as well, these are a lot harder.Ps have you started studying a book/ film yet? Will you be tested on these? Fellow a level frenchie here
generallypuzzled
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
hey I take french and german a level too! I'd recommend listening to the radio, or the news for around 10 minutes a day just so that you can get used to the sound of it. Even if you don't understand half of it at first, just persevere through it and you'll find the actual A level so much easier to do afterwards. Also reading a book in french/german should be useful - I know its not exam type vocab, but it has really helped with my grammar and remembering genders of things or idioms. Of course trawling through past papers is helpful too so you can get used to answering the questions.

hope this helped

-
emlouu
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I'm doing A level French (year 13) - vocab is the best thing you can do, also practise papers are important, try listening to french music (I think rap is especially good, but you can listen to whatever) and maybe try reading french newspaper/magazine articles. For past papers, if you get stuck on a practise listening passage try reading the transcript whilst listening to it so you can get used to what all the words sound like and distinguishing one word from another
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by emlouu)
I'm doing A level French (year 13) - vocab is the best thing you can do, also practise papers are important, try listening to french music (I think rap is especially good, but you can listen to whatever) and maybe try reading french newspaper/magazine articles. For past papers, if you get stuck on a practise listening passage try reading the transcript whilst listening to it so you can get used to what all the words sound like and distinguishing one word from another
Yeah this is very true, I had a listening extract in our mock where is said “Ils frappent aux portes de notre pays” and I literally could not distinguish what they said at all.
Quizlit
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Thanks!! very helpful
Yeah, we've finished the film ('La Haine' by Kassovitz) but haven't started the book yet (which as actually a play, called 'Tartuffe'). What about you?

We will be tested on the film in the exam, it's a short essay which shouldn't be too hard.

Thank you again
(Original post by Deggs_14)
Do practice repeating and listening questions from your textbook or online kerboodle, and ask your teacher for mark schemes to mark them. Or use the AS past papers on the AQA website. Going over vocabulary is helpful, but shouldn’t be the only revision you do. Make sure to practice English into French/ German translations as well, these are a lot harder.Ps have you started studying a book/ film yet? Will you be tested on these? Fellow a level frenchie here
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.43%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.9%

Watched Threads